How Hyperspace Time Variances Could Affect Commerce

In summary: Unless that slow moving package is my freshly printed replacement heart and I'll die waiting for it to arrive, fast forward means you miss everything else going on your life. Long separations used to be the norm, back in the days of Harry Flashman, but we're not so keen on such flickering relationships these days (and even Flashman used to stress that Elspeth was cheating on him while he was away saving the Empire).In summary, there are three classes of scifi hyperdrives available for use. Class I is best suited for small vessels with a travel time of one lightyear per 30 minutes, but with 30 days passing outside for every 30 minutes of hyperspace travel. Class
Bab5space
Scenario: Three types of scifi hyperdrives are available to you.
Class I: A small drive that can be fitted on small vessels. Hyperspace travel time is a lightyear covered per 30 minutes. Yet in reality, outside 30 days passes for every 30 min of hyperspace travel. So about 2 hours would get you to Proxima Centauri, but when you arrive 4 months will have passed.
Class II: A medium size drive for medium size vessels neither gigantic nor small. Hyperspace travel is a LY per 15 min, outside 15 days pass per LY traveled.
Class III: Large hyperdrives for large vessels. Five min per LY in hyperspace, equal to 5 days passing outside per LY.
Throttling down: You can also throttle down the hyperdrives to go lightspeed, in which there is no time variance. Useful mainly for interplanetary cruising.

My analysis: Class I hyperdrives are best for explorers I think, and Class II hyperdrives could be used for cheaper shipping for longer wait times, but by and large the Class 3 hyperdrives would reign supreme in shipping.
Big ships would be the fastest ever.
Did I miss anything that you can add to my analysis?

EDIT: I have no clue how close these travel times compare to modern sea shipping, but I have a feeling they are similar, and faster in some cases.

EDIT 2: I think the ability to skip several months into the future within a few hours woukd be nice ability to have, if only to see rapid progress.
Whoa... I just figured it out! Passenger ride fares would be a healthy source of income. Don't want to wait months for your package to arrive? Hitch a ride in hyperspace and the wait will only be a few hours.
Sure, months of time will pass outside, but who cares? You want your package ASAP!

Physics news on Phys.org
The cost of travel will impact how these drives are adopted, as well as the 'where' of travel. What motivates anyone outside of exploration to venture beyond the solar system? Also, given the 'throttle' aspect, there is no obvious reason why you can't have Class V or X or M, because the mechanism that drives the time variance seems linear. Certainly, if a large craft can propel itself with a Class III then a larger class can propel itself with a Class IV.

In terms of shipping times down here on Earth, the ODM Group has a list of routes and typical travel times and your Class III hyperdrive is slower than a container vessel for pretty much any other star system. Procyon A is similar to the Sun, is 11.402 LY away, and would take your Class III craft 57 days to get there. Plus, presumably, some maneuvering time at either end. But Gliese 433, at almost 30LY and with two known planets, requires 148 days of travel, which is more like an olde worlde sailing ship than a modern container ship.

Also, would passenger rides into the future really be that compelling? Unless that slow moving package is my freshly printed replacement heart and I'll die waiting for it to arrive, fast forward means you miss everything else going on your life. Believe me, I've done my share of travel for work, and that four week trip to the African gold mine with marginal wifi means you've missed a lot of stuff going on in your own backyard. Long separations used to be the norm, back in the days of Harry Flashman, but we're not so keen on such flickering relationships these days (and even Flashman used to stress that Elspeth was cheating on him while he was away saving the Empire).

Is this all for a sci fi story where you are concentrating on the commerce?

Tghu Verd said:
The cost of travel will impact how these drives are adopted, as well as the 'where' of travel. What motivates anyone outside of exploration to venture beyond the solar system? Also, given the 'throttle' aspect, there is no obvious reason why you can't have Class V or X or M, because the mechanism that drives the time variance seems linear. Certainly, if a large craft can propel itself with a Class III then a larger class can propel itself with a Class IV.

In terms of shipping times down here on Earth, the ODM Group has a list of routes and typical travel times and your Class III hyperdrive is slower than a container vessel for pretty much any other star system. Procyon A is similar to the Sun, is 11.402 LY away, and would take your Class III craft 57 days to get there. Plus, presumably, some maneuvering time at either end. But Gliese 433, at almost 30LY and with two known planets, requires 148 days of travel, which is more like an olde worlde sailing ship than a modern container ship.

Also, would passenger rides into the future really be that compelling? Unless that slow moving package is my freshly printed replacement heart and I'll die waiting for it to arrive, fast forward means you miss everything else going on your life. Believe me, I've done my share of travel for work, and that four week trip to the African gold mine with marginal wifi means you've missed a lot of stuff going on in your own backyard. Long separations used to be the norm, back in the days of Harry Flashman, but we're not so keen on such flickering relationships these days (and even Flashman used to stress that Elspeth was cheating on him while he was away saving the Empire).

Is this all for a sci fi story where you are concentrating on the commerce?
In theory you are right... but no one has figured out how to make a Class 4 hyperdrive yet.

Class I are relatively cheap, Class II is expensive but not so much that only rich can afford it. Class III is the reserve of rich folk and companies that own freighters.

Yet I do find the time skipping to be fascinating, since the crew can travel forward months of time as it were while only aging a few hours.

The story itself does feature some commerce, as I am seeking to show notgalactic heroes, but average joes, making the best they can out of a scifi universe with aliens, religion, and an alternate take on humanity where religion as we know it does not have the same backstory. Namely... in this timeline there was no christianity, no judiasm, no Jesus... and things just went from there. Yet due to the human desire for life, the belief in an afterlife persists while both agnostics and atheists both are popular.
Aliens of various types are based on themes and expounded upon, and that effects their ethics. For example one is all about being positive, another is about truth, and still another is about optimal physical fitness, and then there is one that is about repaying debts owed. Only one of them actually favors using human style prisons (the fitness ones).EDIT: When vessels drop out of hyperspace, they may not have to maneuver a lot if they drop out of hyperspace close enough to a planet to mass lock.

Mass lock in my verse means your vessel drops out of hyperspace at a speed and trajectory matching the planet it is nearby. Of course if too far away, you would not mass lock and would have to either manuever with sublight engines or get closer by throttling down at lightspeed to mass lock properly.

Last edited:
Bab5space said:
The story itself does feature some commerce,
the question that never gets asked is what economic rationale exists for interstellar trade? A society advanced enough for interstellar travel can cheaply manufacture any goods itself and any solar system like ours has more than enough raw materials, so what does that leave? Luxury goods, exotic lifeforms?

Aliens of various types are based on themes and expounded upon, and that effects their ethics. For example one is all about being positive, another is about truth, and still another is about optimal physical fitness, and then there is one that is about repaying debts owed. Only one of them actually favors using human style prisons (the fitness ones).
Be careful, aliens that are all one narrow human character trait are a horrible cliche

https://www.mmoreau.net/post/51729858409/10-worst-science-fiction-cliches
8. Homogenous alien species
So if Klingons are all warriors then who developed warp drive for them? Who works in their retail stores and daycare centers? Why is it that every alien race has to be all one thing. They’re all warriors, all academics, all priests/priestesses….wouldn’t they be like people here on Earth? Wouldn’t they have many different lifestyles, ethnicities, traditions, religions, languages, etc…? Oh, and while we’re at it, pretty much every alien species has a worldwide government run by a “high council”.

BWV said:
the question that never gets asked is what economic rationale exists for interstellar trade? A society advanced enough for interstellar travel can cheaply manufacture any goods itself and any solar system like ours has more than enough raw materials, so what does that leave? Luxury goods, exotic lifeforms? Be careful, aliens that are all one narrow human character trait are a horrible cliche

https://www.mmoreau.net/post/51729858409/10-worst-science-fiction-cliches
I will address each subject separately.

1. Passengers? How about animals you can't naturally find on your world? Same goes for animals. Same goes for technology. Anything alien has value in of itself.

2. The Klingons are more varied, it's just that warriors are what you always see. DS9 had a klingon lawyer and a chef.

They view everything as a battle or fight. Scientists fight against the unknown and ignorance, whereas cooks fight against blandness and the competition of other chefs. I could go on... but it is unnecessary.

1. How do hyperspace time variances affect commerce?

Hyperspace time variances can affect commerce in a number of ways. First, they can impact the speed of transportation and delivery of goods, potentially causing delays and disrupting supply chains. Second, they can affect the pricing of goods, as the cost of transportation may fluctuate depending on the time it takes to travel through hyperspace. Finally, hyperspace time variances can also impact the availability of certain goods, as some may be more difficult or time-consuming to transport through hyperspace.

2. Can hyperspace time variances be predicted and accounted for in commerce?

While there is ongoing research and study into hyperspace time variances, they are not yet fully understood and therefore cannot be accurately predicted. However, some businesses may choose to build in extra time or costs to account for potential variances in their commerce operations.

3. How can businesses adapt to hyperspace time variances in commerce?

One way businesses can adapt to hyperspace time variances is by diversifying their transportation methods. This can include using multiple modes of transportation, such as both hyperspace travel and traditional shipping methods, to mitigate the impact of variances. Additionally, businesses can also invest in research and development to improve transportation technology and potentially reduce the effects of hyperspace time variances.

4. Are there any benefits to hyperspace time variances in commerce?

While hyperspace time variances can pose challenges for commerce, there are also potential benefits. For example, variances can create opportunities for businesses to offer expedited or premium shipping options for customers who are willing to pay a premium for faster delivery. Additionally, hyperspace time variances can also encourage innovation and advancements in transportation technology.

5. How can governments regulate hyperspace time variances in commerce?

Currently, there is no established regulatory framework for hyperspace time variances in commerce. However, as technology and understanding of hyperspace continues to advance, governments may need to consider implementing regulations to ensure fair and safe commerce practices. This could include setting standards for transportation methods and safety protocols, as well as monitoring and enforcing compliance.