Material source of the quasar redshift

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of quasar redshift and its relation to the jets of accelerated material emitted by the quasar. It is explained that the redshift is primarily caused by the accretion disk and not the jets, and that determining the redshift of a quasar can be a complicated process. The topic of quasar metallicity is also brought up, with the understanding that it is reflective of the material being consumed by the accretion disk. The conversation also touches on the difference between quasars and blazars and the implications of their relativistic speeds. Finally, the concept of black holes having no hair is mentioned in relation to determining their constituent materials.
CosmologyHobbyist
TL;DR Summary
When we look at quasar redshift, are we looking at the redshift of the blueshifted jet pointed toward us?
When I see discussions about quasar redshift, exactly what are they talking about? I assume a quasar is similar to a black hole, so emits little radiation from the main mass. The light from a quasar comes principally from its jets of accelerated material, no? Which means the jet pointed toward us is blueshifted and the jet pointed away from us is redshifted, no? And the blueshifted jet would be extra-energized by the blueshift, so would probably obscure the red-shifted jet's spectrum, no? So doesn't all this make determining quasar redshift a complicated affair?

And on a tangentally related note, wouldn't quasar metallicity simply reflect what they are currently devouring, not the primordial black hole constituent materials? So does that mean metallicity issues concerning quasars, means no galactic cores should have second-generation stars by that time period in the universe? And determining the universe timeframe of the quasar is much dependent on accurately determining its redshift with the issues above?

When I see discussion about quasar redshifts, it appears that the redshift is being used raw without regard to the high degree of falsification owing to the way it is generated. Are all the adjustments handled behind the scenes and taken for granted? If not, then we should assume most quasars are highly blueshifted, which makes their deep redshifts even more puzzling. But as a layman, I assume I am missing the fundamentals of the picture, thus my question. "When we look at quasar redshift, are we looking at the redshift of the blueshifted jet pointed toward us?"

Astronomy news on Phys.org
CosmologyHobbyist said:
The light from a quasar comes principally from its jets of accelerated material, no?
No, it's principally from the accretion disk. What you seem to be thinking of is not quasars, but blazars - i.e. the relatively rare quasars with their jet beam directed towards Earth.
CosmologyHobbyist said:
Which means the jet pointed toward us is blueshifted and the jet pointed away from us is redshifted, no? And the blueshifted jet would be extra-energized by the blueshift, so would probably obscure the red-shifted jet's spectrum, no? So doesn't all this make determining quasar redshift a complicated affair?
Remember that quasars are extended objects, not point sources. One can find the redshift of the host galaxy by blocking the central region of the aperture.

CosmologyHobbyist said:
And on a tangentally related note, wouldn't quasar metallicity simply reflect what they are currently devouring, not the primordial black hole constituent materials?
Yes. One can never know the black hole constituent materials anyway, because black holes have no hair.
But I don't quite get the rest of the question.

• Informative
Likes Oldman too and PeroK
Hi Bandersnatch, Great name.
Thanks for your answers, and yes I suppose I am talking blazars. I did some reading on related threads below, and found the material jets only move at 1/10 the speed of light, which won't falsify the redshift much. I thought they moved at relativistic speeds, which even then wouldn't much affect readings from high-redshift blazars.

About metallicity, yes black holes have no hair, meaning we can never determine what constituents went into it. So all metallicity readings are coming from the accretion disk.

So you say quasar light comes from the accetion disk being consumed? Hm, that news to me. And that explains their great brightness? Wow, that's going to take some digesting...

Thanks again for refining my understanding.

1. What is the material source of the quasar redshift?

The material source of the quasar redshift is the supermassive black hole at the center of the quasar. As material falls into the black hole, it emits intense radiation that can be observed as a redshift in the quasar's spectrum.

2. How does the material source of the quasar redshift affect its brightness?

The material source of the quasar redshift can greatly affect its brightness. As material falls into the black hole, it releases a tremendous amount of energy, making the quasar appear extremely bright. However, as the material is consumed by the black hole, the brightness of the quasar can fluctuate over time.

3. Can the material source of the quasar redshift change?

Yes, the material source of the quasar redshift can change over time. As the black hole consumes material, it can also eject material in the form of jets. These jets can interact with the surrounding gas and dust, affecting the redshift observed in the quasar's spectrum.

4. How does the material source of the quasar redshift provide evidence for the existence of black holes?

The material source of the quasar redshift is a strong piece of evidence for the existence of black holes. The intense radiation emitted by the material as it falls into the black hole can only be explained by the presence of a supermassive black hole with a strong gravitational pull.

5. Is the material source of the quasar redshift the only factor that affects the redshift observed in quasars?

No, the material source of the quasar redshift is not the only factor that affects the redshift observed in quasars. Other factors, such as the expansion of the universe and the motion of the quasar itself, can also contribute to the observed redshift. However, the material source is a major factor in the redshift observed in quasars.