How important is taking physics lab?

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Do you think it is important to take a physics lab subject for a whole semester if I am focusing on the theoretical side? Or would it be more beneficial to skip the lab and do more theory subjects in order to get a better grounding of the thory?

Answers and Replies

I think its important to have a good idea of how experimental physics is done, even if you're doing theoretical.

Dr Transport
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You'll learn more about physics by doing in the lab than calculating on paper. Everyone should have time in the lab, no exceptions.....

Dr Transport said:
You'll learn more about physics by doing in the lab than calculating on paper. Everyone should have time in the lab, no exceptions.....
Even for a mathematical physicist?

pivoxa15 said:
Even for a mathematical physicist?
Of course!

Dr Transport
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Every physicist, theoretical, computational, mathematical etc....should have at a minuimum of one year of lab courses/experience at the undergrad AND graduate level. If you don't you have been severely cheated out of an important portion of your training as a physicist.

Even a theoretican has to be able to talk to and interact with experimental physicists and an important part of that interaction is having a rudimentary knowledge of lab techniques. My PhD advisor has told me that I have become a much better and more rounded physicist since I started interacting on a daily basis with my counterparts in the labs I deal with, matter a fact I spent a good part of this week in the lab working on learning to take data which is very important to the sucess of a program I am working on. How many theoreticians can say that they played an important part in the design, build, test and calibration of a measurement apparatus down to the choice of rotation stages and lock-in amplifier choice along with the specification of the detector systems. I spent time learning to program LabView to help in the control of the data aquisition, there wasn't a theoretician on the faculty at my university who could say that.

Dr Transport said:
Every physicist, theoretical, computational, mathematical etc....should have at a minuimum of one year of lab courses/experience at the undergrad AND graduate level. If you don't you have been severely cheated out of an important portion of your training as a physicist.

Even a theoretican has to be able to talk to and interact with experimental physicists and an important part of that interaction is having a rudimentary knowledge of lab techniques. My PhD advisor has told me that I have become a much better and more rounded physicist since I started interacting on a daily basis with my counterparts in the labs I deal with, matter a fact I spent a good part of this week in the lab working on learning to take data which is very important to the sucess of a program I am working on. How many theoreticians can say that they played an important part in the design, build, test and calibration of a measurement apparatus down to the choice of rotation stages and lock-in amplifier choice along with the specification of the detector systems. I spent time learning to program LabView to help in the control of the data aquisition, there wasn't a theoretician on the faculty at my university who could say that.
Very convincing. They also labeled this lab subject as a core subject so I should take it instead of doing extra theory.

i agree with all the previous statements ,being able to do lab is very important when it comes to science ......