How is (208 − 18y)/7 simplified to (29-2y) + (5-4y)/7?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Gravitational
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Simplify
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Gravitational
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
In my textbook it simplifies (208 − 18y)/7 to (29-2y) + (5-4y)/7
How does this happen?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Gravitational said:
In my textbook it simplifies (208 − 18y)/7 to (29-2y) + (5-4y)/7
How does this happen?

[itex]29-2y+\frac{5-4y}{7}=\frac{7\cdot 29 - 7\cdot 2y + 5 - 4y}{7} = \frac{208-18y}{7}[/itex]

DonAntonio
 
Yes I know that, I also tried it in reverse. But how can it be done without doing it in reverse.
 
Gravitational said:
Yes I know that, I also tried it in reverse. But how can it be done without doing it in reverse.



Errr...[itex]208 = 29\cdot 7 + 5\,,\,\,and\,\,18 = 7\cdot 2 + 4[/itex]...what else?!

DonAntonio
 
It's just arithmetic. 7 divides into 208 29 times with remainder 5. 7 divides into 18 twice with remainder 4.