Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How is 3D d-wave superconductivity band?

1. Sep 24, 2009 #1

MTd2

Gold Member

Please,

I found this (the 4 lobe object in the center):
    http://www.physics.utoronto.ca/lecture-and-seminar-series/colloquium/events/tsuei.jpg [Broken]

But is it the same throughout the z axis, or does it vary significantly?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2009 #2
    I assume this is a description of the d-wave superconductivity as found in the cuprates. In those materials, there is a very prominent layered structure. So yes, along the z-axis the pairing function is constant. Remember however that you're looking at the pairing function in the momentum/Fourier-transformed space.

4. Sep 25, 2009 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Or to be more specific, it is the [itex]d_{x^2-y^2}[/itex] symmetry. So if you open any atomic spectroscopy book, look up that orbital symmetry and there you have it.

Zz.

5. Sep 25, 2009 #4
    Though atomic orbitals are spherical harmonics, so have a slightly different z-axis symmetry. In this case, the "lobes" should be open, so that concatenating Brilliouin zones creates a sort of "sausage". Otherwise, yes, it's called [itex]d_{x^2-y^2}[/itex], but only because its x-y plane symmetry has the same nodes (I'd like to say the same shape in general, but am not sure?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook