Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How is 3D d-wave superconductivity band?

1. Sep 24, 2009 #1

MTd2

Gold Member

Please,

I found this (the 4 lobe object in the center):
    http://www.physics.utoronto.ca/lecture-and-seminar-series/colloquium/events/tsuei.jpg [Broken]

But is it the same throughout the z axis, or does it vary significantly?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2009 #2
    I assume this is a description of the d-wave superconductivity as found in the cuprates. In those materials, there is a very prominent layered structure. So yes, along the z-axis the pairing function is constant. Remember however that you're looking at the pairing function in the momentum/Fourier-transformed space.

4. Sep 25, 2009 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Or to be more specific, it is the [itex]d_{x^2-y^2}[/itex] symmetry. So if you open any atomic spectroscopy book, look up that orbital symmetry and there you have it.

Zz.

5. Sep 25, 2009 #4
    Though atomic orbitals are spherical harmonics, so have a slightly different z-axis symmetry. In this case, the "lobes" should be open, so that concatenating Brilliouin zones creates a sort of "sausage". Otherwise, yes, it's called [itex]d_{x^2-y^2}[/itex], but only because its x-y plane symmetry has the same nodes (I'd like to say the same shape in general, but am not sure?)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook