How Is Energy Stored in a Resonant LRC Circuit?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jesuslovesu
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Capacitor Energy
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
jesuslovesu
Messages
185
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Express the energy stored on a capacitor in terms of L, R, V in a standard LRC circuit. The circuit is at resonance.

Homework Equations


E = 1/2 CV^2

The Attempt at a Solution


Well I start with substituting C with something else.
1) C = 1/(Lw^2)
So E = 1/2 V^2/(Lw^2)

2) That's where I begin to have problems. I've then tried w = 2pi*f and f = R/L

Therefore E = V^2 * L /(2R^2 * 4pi^2). Unfortunately, I'm close to the answer but the 4pi^2 term is where my problem lies. Anyone know where I went wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org