How is Kinetic Energy Conserved in an Elastic Collision?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
fizziksr0cks
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 8.5 kg steel ball, traveling left to right at 12 m/s, undergoes an elastic collision with a 5 kg steel ball at rest. To the nearest Joule, what is the Total Kinetic Energy of the two balls after collision? If the first ball has a mass of 10 kg and the second ball is traveling at it with a speed of 3 m/s, what is the velocity, to one decimal place, of the first ball after collision? What is the velocity of the second ball to one decimal place?

Homework Equations



1/2mvi2+1/2mvii2=KE

The Attempt at a Solution


Question 1:
1/2 (8.5)(122)= 612 J
Question 2 & 3:
I'm not sure the equation needed to solve for the needed. I'm pretty sure that if I can get question 2 then the same method will be used to solve question 3.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
For questions 2 and 3 you need to conserve momentum in addition to energy conservation.