How is momentum conserved if you lose kinetic energy?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between kinetic energy (KE) and momentum in collisions. It is noted that in an inelastic collision, if heat is lost, it must have been supplied by the velocity of the object. This means that the overall momentum after the collision will be less than before. The concept of momentum being a vector is also brought up, and it is mentioned that mathematically, it is possible for momentum to be conserved while kinetic energy is lost. The missing energy in inelastic collisions is discussed, and it is suggested that it may manifest as internal mechanical vibrations or an increase in temperature. The conversation ends with a clarification on the relationship between mass and velocity in collisions.
I vote for post 2. You will never understand until you understand post 2.
2 masses collide: one might go backwards!

Likes gmax137
Physics news on Phys.org
rude man said:
I vote for post 2. You will never understand until you understand post 2.
2 masses collide: one might go backwards!
Even if nothing goes backwards, an inelastic collision still conserves only momentum, not kinetic energy. See example in port #5.

A.T. said:
Even if nothing goes backwards, an inelastic collision still conserves only momentum, not kinetic energy. See example in port #5.

Yes, but the gist of the OP seemed to be, how can energy (a function of v) change, without momentum changing (since it is also a function of v). At least that's how i read it.

A.T. said:
Make that "... even go backwards!"