Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How is R4 space represented geometrically?

1. Sep 17, 2006 #1
    I just can't picture it in my mind. Is it possible to have an idea what a 4 dimensional space actually looks like?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

For a function of two variables, you can consider all the points in the domain at which the fuction has the same value to retrieve a family of curves.

Analogically, you can actually consider all the points in space at which a function f(x, y, z) of three variables has the same value. These points form a surface, in general. So, that could be a way.
  4. Sep 17, 2006 #3
    What? I don't get how that would describe four dimensional space.
  5. Sep 17, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

Okay, take, for example f(x,y,z) = x^2+y^2-z^2.
    f(x,y,z) = -1 => -x^2-y^2+z^2 = 1 ;
    f(x,y,z) = 0 => x^2+y^2=z^2 ;
    f(x,y,z) = 1 => x^2+y^2-z^2=1 ;

Every of these three surfaces represents the set of points in space in which the function f has the same value, as stated before. These surfaces are called level surfaces. Theoretically, plot all the level surfaces, i.e. all surfaces f(x,y,z) = c (where c is in the codomain of f), and you have a mapping between every value c and it's coresponding surface z = z(x,y). So, you visualized* R^4 in R^3. :biggrin:

* Conclusion: of course you didn't, and of course you can't, but creating level surfaces is the only way to 'deal' with R^4.
  6. Sep 17, 2006 #5
    I knew that. :wink:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?