How Is the Komar Mass of a Schwarzschild Geometry Calculated?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mongolianbeef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass Schwarzschild
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
mongolianbeef
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The Komar mass of a Schwarzschild geometry can be written as [itex]\frac{1}{4\pi}\int_{S}n^{\alpha}\sigma_{\beta} \nabla_{\alpha} \xi^{\beta}dA[/itex], where [itex]n^{\alpha}[/itex] and [itex]\sigma_{\beta}[/itex] are timelike and spacelike normal vectors respectively. How does one actually go about evaluating this integral?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I've simplified it down to [itex]\frac{1}{4\pi}\int_{S}n^{\alpha}\sigma_{\beta} \Gamma^{\beta}_{\alpha t} dA[/itex] but I have no idea how to continue from there. Wouldn't [itex]n^{\alpha}\sigma_{\beta}[/itex] be zero since they are orthogonal? Also, what is dA? I know it includes factors from the metric but which ones?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mongolianbeef said:
Also, what is dA? I know it includes factors from the metric but which ones?
It's the surface element of the 2-surface you defined, [itex]dA = \sqrt{g^{(2)}} d^2x[/itex] where [itex]g^{(2)}[/itex] is the determinant of induced metric on this surface.

mongolianbeef said:
How does one actually go about evaluating this integral?

So in Schwarzschild, I can choose my vectors n and σ in the obvious way, normalizing them to n2=-1, σ2=+1,
[tex]n = (-\sqrt{1-\frac{2M}{r}}, 0, 0, 0)[/tex]
[tex]\sigma = (0, \sqrt{1-\frac{2M}{r}}^{-1}, 0, 0)[/tex]
Then the 2-surface is just a sphere, with [itex]\sqrt{-g^{(2)}} = r^2 \sin(\theta)[/itex], [itex]dA = r^2 d\Omega[/itex], so I get
[tex]I = \frac{1}{4\pi}\int_{S}n^{\alpha}\sigma_{\beta} \Gamma^{\beta}_{\alpha t} dA = \frac{1}{4\pi}\int_{S}n^{t} g_{rr} \sigma^{r} \Gamma^{r}_{t t} dA = \frac{1}{4\pi}\int_{S} -\sqrt{1-\frac{2M}{r}}(1-\frac{2M}{r})^{-1}(1-\frac{2M}{r})^{-1/2} \frac{M}{r^2} (1-\frac{2M}{r}) dA[/tex]
[tex] = -\frac{1}{4\pi}\int_{S} \frac{M}{r^2} r^2 d\Omega = -\frac{M}{4\pi}\int_S d\Omega = -M[/tex]
So maybe there's a sign wrong somewhere, or something, but otherwise it goes like that :)