How is the therefore -sign orientated?

• Thread starter andreasdr
  • Start date
In summary, the confusion about the orientation of the "therefore"-sign has been sorted out. The pyramid symbol signifies "therefore" while the inverted pyramid symbol signifies "because". This has been confirmed by Wikipedia and the community in the conversation.
andreasdr
How is the "therefore"-sign orientated?

Hello!
I would like to once and for all get some help sorting out an old confusion of mine: How are the dots in the "therefore"-sign orientated? Does it look like a pyramid or like a pyramid turned upside-down? Wikipedia says it is the pyramid but I have seen use of the upside-down pyramid by many people at my university; Chalmers, to mean "therefore". Also, the upside-down pyramid makes more sense to mean "therefore" since it is possible to imagine the sign to signify something like "this and this implies this", and vice versa for the "because" sign.

Thankful for answers!
/Andreas Draganis

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org

Are you talking about the 'therefore' shorthand that looks like three dots? If so, the pyramid means therefore, and the inverted pyramid means because.

Ok, I will now consider it verified, the pyramid means therefore. Thanks!

What is the "therefore" sign?

The "therefore" sign is a mathematical symbol that represents logical implication. It is typically used to show that a conclusion follows logically from a set of premises.

How is the "therefore" sign oriented?

The "therefore" sign is typically oriented in the same direction as the flow of logical reasoning. This means that it points from the premises towards the conclusion.

Why is the "therefore" sign oriented this way?

This orientation is based on the concept of logical implication, where the premises are considered to be the cause and the conclusion is the effect. Therefore, the "therefore" sign pointing from the premises to the conclusion makes logical sense.

What is the difference between the "therefore" sign and the "equals" sign?

The "therefore" sign and the "equals" sign have different meanings and purposes. The "equals" sign is used to show that two quantities are equal, while the "therefore" sign is used to show that a conclusion follows logically from a set of premises.

Can the "therefore" sign be used in other contexts besides mathematics?

Yes, the "therefore" sign can also be used in other fields such as philosophy and law to indicate logical reasoning and conclusions. It can also be used in everyday language to show cause and effect relationships.