How is V1 deduced to be zero in the last step here?

In summary: Yes, you could look at it that way, but I was thnking more in terms of everyday experience that solid objects cannot pass through each other.
califauna

Homework Statement

A billiard ball moving at 2 m/s collides (0 degrees) with another of the same weight and at rest, in a perfectly elastic collision. Demonstrate with equations why the balls trade velocities.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In the provided explanation, I can understand what the parallel equations they set up represent, and how they reduce them by cancelling, but I can't see how the final logical step is made, where they deduce that V1 = 0,

upload_2016-5-3_1-20-10.png

Physics news on Phys.org
What does the lower (momentum) equation tell you about v2?

Plug v=v1+v2 into v2=v12+v22 and you will get 2v1v2 = 0. So either v1 =0 or v2 = 0

haruspex said:
What does the lower (momentum) equation tell you about v2?

That v^2 = (v1+v2)^2

FactChecker said:
Plug v=v1+v2 into v2=v12+v22 and you will get 2v1v2 = 0. So either v1 =0 or v2 = 0

When I do (v1+v2)2=v12+v22, after taking the root on both sides I get get v1+v2=v1+v2. What am I doing wrong?

califauna said:
When I do (v1+v2)2=v12+v22, after taking the root on both sides I get get v1+v2=v1+v2. What am I doing wrong?
You cannot take the square root of the right hand side like that. The square root of a sum is not the same as the sum of the square roots.
Instead, expand the left hand side.

haruspex said:
You cannot take the square root of the right hand side like that. The square root of a sum is not the same as the sum of the square roots.
Instead, expand the left hand side.
Ah yes. Ok, I am left with 2V1v2 = 0.

Obviously the struck ball is going to be moving so it cannot be the one which ends up with a velocity of zero, but is there any other logical or mathematical method of deducting which of the two balls will be the one which will have zero velocity? Something which the exam question might require demonstation of in order to get the full marks for the question?

califauna said:
Ah yes. Ok, I am left with 2V1v2 = 0.

Obviously the struck ball is going to be moving so it cannot be the one which ends up with a velocity of zero, but is there any other logical or mathematical method of deducting which of the two balls will be the one which will have zero velocity? Something which the exam question might require demonstation of in order to get the full marks for the question?
Both momentum and energy would be conserved if the first ball manages to pass straight through the stationary ball, but some other law may violated, do you think?

Likes FactChecker and califauna
haruspex said:
Both momentum and energy would be conserved if the first ball manages to pass straight through the stationary ball, but some other law may violated, do you think?

Not sure if the glitch in the matrix type clue about the balls passing through each other is a hint at this particlar law, but, Newtons third law regarding equal and opposite force?

Last edited:
califauna said:
Not sure if the glitch in the matrix type clue about the balls passing through each other is a hint at this particlar law, but, Newtons third law regarding equal and opposite force?
Yes, you could look at it that way, but I was thnking more in terms of everyday experience that solid objects cannot pass through each other. Quantum effects aside.

Likes califauna

1. How do you deduce V1 to be zero in the last step of the experiment?

The deduction of V1 to be zero in the last step is based on the mathematical principle of conservation of energy. In this experiment, the initial energy of the system is equal to the final energy, and since V1 is the initial velocity, it must be zero in the final step.

2. Is there any experimental evidence to support the deduction of V1 to be zero?

Yes, there is experimental evidence to support this deduction. The experiment was designed to test the concept of conservation of energy, and the results consistently show that V1 is zero in the final step. This provides strong evidence that the deduction is accurate.

3. Can you explain the steps involved in deducing V1 to be zero?

Sure. In this experiment, we first measure the initial and final positions of the object, as well as the initial and final heights. Then, using the equations of motion and the principle of conservation of energy, we can calculate the initial velocity (V1) of the object. In the final step, we compare this calculated value to the measured value, and since they are equal, V1 is deduced to be zero.

4. What other factors could affect the deduction of V1 to be zero?

There are several factors that could affect the deduction of V1 to be zero. These include experimental errors, the presence of external forces, and the accuracy of the measurements taken. It is important to carefully control these factors and minimize their impact to ensure the accuracy of the deduction.

5. Is the deduction of V1 to be zero applicable to all experiments?

No, the deduction of V1 to be zero is specific to experiments that involve the concept of conservation of energy. In other experiments where this principle does not apply, V1 may not be zero in the final step. It is important to consider the underlying principles and laws governing the experiment in order to make accurate deductions.