magicfountain
- 27
- 0
When is the first time a student of physics works with Einsteins field equation and does Friedmann cosmology?
magicfountain said:When is the first time a student of physics works with Einsteins field equation and does Friedmann cosmology?
TheEtherWind said:It's a shame that, at least intro, GR isn't typically required at the undergrad level...
bcrowell said:One of the great things about majoring in physics is that the number of units of required courses is relatively small (compared to, e.g., engineering or music), so you can get a real liberal arts education. I'd hate to see that changed by throwing in more requirements.
soothsayer said:Where did you major in physics? I have to take a fifth year! (granted, only part of it, but still.)
bcrowell said:Berkeley. I'm not saying it's an easy or low-unit major, but it does require far fewer units than engineering or music.
GRstudent said:they have practically very few real-life applications.
* GR is essential in making GPS work;
These skills are not so crucial for most engineers. I doubt that average Engineer needs geometry of neutron stars or black holes to do his job. GR is purely theoretical insight--no more than that.* GR is essential in understanding cosmology;
* GR is essential in understanding neutron stars and black holes.
GRstudent said:Special Relativity is used in GPS making.
GRstudent said:The speed of a satellite is ~4km/sec so it has some time dilation.
GRstudent said:These skills are not so crucial for most engineers. I doubt that average Engineer needs geometry of neutron stars or black holes to do his job.
GRstudent said:GR is purely theoretical insight--no more than that.
There are a lot of working scientists who deal with neutron stars and black holes, and cosmology.
Most engineers do not need any modern physics, classical mechanics is a good approximation in most applications.These skills are not so crucial for most engineers. I doubt that average Engineer needs geometry of neutron stars or black holes to do his job. GR is purely theoretical insight--no more than that.
GRstudent said:I highly doubt that there are more neutron star and black hole physicists in the world than there are Engineers.
GRstudent said:I don't think that many students would do arduous work for relatively low salary.
mfb said:While effects of GR are relevant for GPS, the system could work without knowledge of the theory, too: With classical mechanics, you could simply observe the frequency shift, and correct for it.
mfb said:Most engineers do not need any modern physics, classical mechanics is a good approximation in most applications.
mfb said:Usually, it is not required, but it is one of the two fundamental theories of modern physics. It is my personal opinion, but I think without GR, you are missing something.
there's really no barrier.