How long can a 1.5 V battery light a flashlight bulb drawing 0.6A?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
Sarliz
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



You'll have to forgive me... I've got some rather poor Physics books with which to consult, so this may seem rather simple. I think I understand the concepts but I don't think I have all of the information from my sources to answer this problem.

A 1.5 V battery stores 4.3 kJ of energy. How long can it light a flashlight bulb that draws 0.6A?

Units should be in hours, but I'm not sure what to do with only having equations V = IR and I = E/R (where E is epsilon, of course). I don't know what part of this factors into time!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The electric power in a DC circuit is [itex]P =IV[/itex]. Is that enough to get you going?
 
Kurdt said:
The electric power in a DC circuit is [itex]P =IV[/itex]. Is that enough to get you going?

Guess it'll have to be. Thanks.
 
Sarliz said:
Guess it'll have to be. Thanks.

If you have more questions I'll be happy to clarify :smile:

The units of power are of course Joules/second. That is where the time comes into it.