How Long Did the Power Delivery to the Ball Last?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
pinnacleprouk
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Thanks in advance, I just want to double check!


Homework Statement



A 5 kg ball is tossed into the air with an initial velocity of 6m/s.
a) What is the kinetic energy of the ball?
b) If the power delivered to the ball was 100watts, over what time interval did
the power delivery occur?




Homework Equations



K.E = 1/2 mV*2

P = E/t



The Attempt at a Solution




a)... using K.E = 1/2 mV*2 answer is 90J

b)... using P = E/t answer is 0.9s
 
Physics news on Phys.org
But I am a bit confuesd, is initial velocity is equal to velocity in the equation?In other words, can we plug the value of initial v in v in the equation? Shouldn't we try to get velocity?
 
stanton said:
But I am a bit confuesd, is initial velocity is equal to velocity in the equation?In other words, can we plug the value of initial v in v in the equation? Shouldn't we try to get velocity?
The velocity is given. It's the velocity of the ball immediately after leaving the hand.
 
Now I get it. :) Thanks! I am having difficulty with treating problems related to kinetic energy and power.