How Long Does It Take a Dropped Object to Hit the Ground from a Rising Balloon?

  • Thread starter Thread starter physics kiddy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Kinematics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
physics kiddy
Messages
135
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



A balloon is at a height of 81 m is ascending upward with a velocity of 12 ms1. A body of 2 kg weight is dropped from it. If g = 10 ms2, the body will reach the surface of Earth in what time.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I don't think mass is of any importance in this question. Hence, I tried to solve it this way:

Since initial velocity = -u
(s=ut+1/2at^2)

81 = -12t+1/2*10*t^2
Solving, we have t = 42seconds.

However this is not the answer. Please explain how I solve this question.
Thanks in advance
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello physics kiddy,

physics kiddy said:

Homework Statement



A balloon is at a height of 81 m is ascending upward with a velocity of 12 ms1. A body of 2 kg weight is dropped from it. If g = 10 ms2, the body will reach the surface of Earth in what time.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I don't think mass is of any importance in this question. Hence, I tried to solve it this way:

Since initial velocity = -u
(s=ut+1/2at^2)

81 = -12t+1/2*10*t^2
Solving, we have t = 42seconds.

However this is not the answer. Please explain how I solve this question.
Thanks in advance

I think your signs are messing you up. You can orient your coordinate system however you want, it's up to you. But you have to pick a direction and stick to it consistently. In this case, let's choose upward to be the positive direction, and downward to be the negative direction. Then, the object's initial velocity (when dropped) is *upward*, because it is ascending along with the balloon at +12 m/s.
 
I have assumed upward to be negative and downward positive to make things easier, however, I am not getting the answer...
 
physics kiddy said:
I have assumed upward to be negative and downward positive to make things easier, however, I am not getting the answer...

Can you show the steps of your solution in more detail?