How Long Does It Take for a Ball Launched Off a Cliff to Hit the Ground?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TheDoorsOfMe
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ball
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
TheDoorsOfMe
Messages
46
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Ok, you have a cliff with height h and you launch a ball off of it at speed v and angle [tex]\theta[/tex]. How long till it hit the ground?

Homework Equations



(1) Vsin([tex]\theta[/tex]) = V[tex]_{y}[/tex]
(2) V[tex]_{f}[/tex] = V[tex]_{y}[/tex] + at
(3) d = ((V[tex]_{i}[/tex] + V[tex]_{f}[/tex])/2)*t

The Attempt at a Solution



Ok, so what I did was take equation (2) and set V[tex]_{f}[/tex]= 0. This alllows me to solve for the time that it takes to reach peak. Multiply this result by 2 to get the time when the ball is back to the plane of the cliff. Then for the time down to the ground I used equation (3) and plugged in V[tex]_{f}[/tex]= [tex]\sqrt{V^{2}_{i}+2gh}[/tex] for V[tex]_{f}[/tex]. Then I solved for t.

This lead to a result I feel looked to complicated for the question. Did I do this right?

Homework Statement


Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I don't know why all my subscripts look like superscripts in this but they do. All those i's and f's are for intial and final velocity.