How Long Does It Take for a Police Car to Catch a Speeder?

• Thread starter Heres2hoping
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Rest
In summary, a speeder moving at 120km/h passes a police car that immediately begins to chase, starting from rest, with an acceleration of 1.75 m/s2. The chase lasts for 38.1 seconds.
Heres2hoping

Homework Statement

A speeder moving at 120km/h passes a police car that immediately begins to chase, starting from rest, with an acceleration of 1.75 m/s2. How long is the chase?
The answer is 38.1s

Homework Equations

d=v1+at2
At least that's what I tried, but it didn't work out right..,

The Attempt at a Solution

Speeder:
(In m/s)
d=33.3(t)

Police car:
d=1.75(t)2

Then attempting to equate them together:

33.3t=1.75t2
33.3t/33.3t=1.75t2/33.3t
0=0.053t
0=t

...I did something weird and it's just stopped making sense... Please help (´Д` )

Physics news on Phys.org
*1/2at2... That's might be my problem, but it's been an issue for almost an hour now (¬_¬)

Heres2hoping said:
*1/2at2... That's might be my problem, but it's been an issue for almost an hour now (¬_¬)
That's one problem. Here's another:
Heres2hoping said:
33.3t/33.3t=1.75t2/33.3t
0=0.053t
you seem to have subtracted on the left instead of dividing.

Likes Heres2hoping
haruspex said:
That's one problem. Here's another:

you seem to have subtracted on the left instead of dividing.
(0o0) thank you so much! I can't believe I did that (-。-; I got the right answer this time (^-^)

Related to How Long Does It Take for a Police Car to Catch a Speeder?

1. What is a police car chase?

A police car chase is a pursuit by law enforcement officers of a suspect in a motor vehicle. It typically involves high speeds and dangerous maneuvers in an attempt to catch the suspect and bring them to justice.

2. How do police officers decide to initiate a car chase?

Police officers must weigh the risks and benefits of initiating a car chase. They must consider the severity of the crime, the potential danger to the public, and the likelihood of apprehending the suspect. They may also follow departmental guidelines or receive instructions from a supervisor.

3. What are the dangers involved in a police car chase?

Police car chases can be extremely dangerous for both officers and the public. High speeds, reckless driving, and collisions can result in serious injuries or fatalities. Innocent bystanders and other drivers on the road are also at risk of being harmed during a car chase.

4. How do police officers try to end a car chase?

Police officers are trained to use various tactics to end a car chase safely. These may include using spike strips to deflate the suspect's tires, performing a PIT maneuver to force the suspect's vehicle off the road, or calling off the chase altogether if it becomes too dangerous.

5. What happens after a police car chase ends?

After a police car chase ends, the suspect is apprehended and taken into custody. The officers involved may file a report detailing the events of the chase and any resulting arrests or injuries. The suspect will then go through the criminal justice system and potentially face charges for their actions during the chase.