Catching the Speeder: Police Car Velocity & Distance Traveled

In summary, a police car traveling at 46m/s is passed by a speeder traveling at 72 m/s. 1s after the speeder passes, the police car begins to accelerate after him and catches him 7s later. The speeder had traveled 576m before being caught. However, it is important to note that the police car did not accelerate for the entire 8 seconds, as it continued at 46 m/s for 1 second before accelerating. This means that the police car had to travel a shorter distance in the remaining 7 seconds in order to catch the speeder.
moondawg

Homework Statement

A police car traveling at 46m/s is passed by a speeder traveling at 72 m/s. Precisely 1s after the speeder passes, the police car accelerates after him. He catches him 7s later.
how fast is the police car going as he catches him?
how far did the speeder get before being caught?

Homework Equations

x=vt
x=xo+vot+1/2at2
v=vo+at

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated that the speeder traveled 576m then plugged that into the 2nd equation above to find the police cars acceleration then plugged that acceleration into the 3rd equation to get the police cars velocity when he catches the speeder=105.43m/s... and found that the speeder got 576m before being caught.
I am not too sure if I did this correctly, someone please check me?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
moondawg said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated that the speeder traveled 576m then plugged that into the 2nd equation above to find the police cars acceleration then plugged that acceleration into the 3rd equation to get the police cars velocity when he catches the speeder=105.43m/s... and found that the speeder got 576m before being caught.
I am not too sure if I did this correctly, someone please check me?!
I see a problem, which is that the police car was not accelerating for the entire 8 seconds. It continued at 46 m/s for 1 s, and then accelerated for 7 seconds. So think about these questions:
  • How far did the police car go in that first second?
  • How far did the police car have to go during the remaining 7 seconds, in order to catch the speeder?

thankyou (:

What is the purpose of studying police car velocity and distance traveled?

The purpose of studying police car velocity and distance traveled is to understand the factors that affect the speed at which police cars travel and the distance they cover during a chase or while responding to a call. This information can help improve police tactics and safety measures for both officers and civilians.

How is police car velocity and distance traveled measured?

Police car velocity can be measured using radar guns, lidar systems, or by tracking the time it takes for the car to travel a known distance. Distance traveled can be measured using GPS tracking systems or by calculating the distance between two known points.

What are some factors that can affect police car velocity and distance traveled?

Some factors that can affect police car velocity and distance traveled include the type and condition of the vehicle, road conditions, traffic, weather, and the skill and training of the driver. The presence of a suspect or potential danger can also impact the speed and distance traveled by a police car.

Why is it important for police officers to know their car's velocity and distance traveled?

Knowing their car's velocity and distance traveled can help police officers make informed decisions during a chase or emergency response situation. It can also aid in determining the effectiveness of different tactics and training methods, and provide valuable data for accident investigations.

What are some potential applications of studying police car velocity and distance traveled?

Studying police car velocity and distance traveled can have potential applications in improving police training and tactics, developing safer and more efficient vehicles, and creating policies and regulations for high-speed pursuits and emergency responses. It can also inform the development of technology and equipment used in law enforcement vehicles.