How long does it take for light to reach Earth in a moving rocket ship?

In summary, the astronauts on the rocket ship say that it takes 6.00 x 10^12 m for the light beam from the headlight to reach Earth.
justinh8
Physics Relativity Question?

Homework Statement

A rocket ship is moving directly toward Earth with a constant speed of 0.50 c relative to Earth. It turns on its headlight, and the light beam travels toward Earth with speed c relative to the ship. According to the rocketship astronauts, Earth is 6.00 x 10^12 m away when the headlight is turned on. In the frame of the astronauts, how long does it take for the light to reach Earth? (Hint: in the frame of the astronauts, Earth is approaching the ship with a speed of 0.5c)

Homework Equations

c = 3x10^8 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I just got 20000 seconds but i know its wrong

Physics news on Phys.org

Can you show your working?

He divided 6x1012 by 3x108. I think even justinh8 knows that doesn't qualify as "an attempt at a solution".

justinh8, you haven't been following along in class. Read the appropriate chapter in your textbook on length contraction and Lorentzian Transform.

You need to take into account time dilation.

There was no lesson for this, it was just a do you remember from grade 11 physics but i do not recall any lorentzian transformations in grade 11. Plus we haven't gotten our textbooks yet so i have no clue. However, i think i know one equation that might be relevant. Its ct^2 = vt^2 + ct^2. Its from grade 11 but not sure if it would work...

Last edited:

justinh8 said:
There was no lesson for this, it was just a do you remember from grade 11 physics but i do not recall any lorentzian transformations in grade 11. Plus we haven't gotten our textbooks yet so i have no clue. However, i think i know one equation that might be relevant. Its ct^2 = vt^2 + ct^2. Its from grade 11 but not sure if it would work...

Hmm that's odd then. Well the equation to use is [tex]t=\frac{t'}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}, \text{Where } t'= \text{dilated time and } t = \text{stationary time}[/tex]

Bread18 said:
You need to take into account time dilation.
I'm pretty sure he doesn't need to be concerned about time dilation.

Everything is given and asked in the frame of the rocket ship.

SammyS said:
I'm pretty sure he doesn't need to be concerned about time dilation.

Everything is given and asked in the frame of the rocket ship.

I think you're right, my mistake.

In which case, I think all he has to take into account is relative motions.

I just talked to my teacher today and he said there is nothing to do with time dilation, he just said think simple so i think it might be using just the v= d/t and just rearrange it to find time??

Related to How long does it take for light to reach Earth in a moving rocket ship?

What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a scientific theory developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It is a theory that explains how objects in motion behave in space and time, and how gravity affects the fabric of the universe.

How does the theory of relativity differ from classical physics?

The theory of relativity differs from classical physics in several ways. One major difference is that classical physics does not take into account the effects of gravity, whereas the theory of relativity explains gravity as the curvature of space and time.

What is the difference between special relativity and general relativity?

Special relativity is a theory that describes the behavior of objects in uniform motion, while general relativity is a theory that explains how gravity affects the behavior of objects in space. General relativity is a more comprehensive theory that includes special relativity as a special case.

Has the theory of relativity been proven?

The theory of relativity has been extensively tested and its predictions have been confirmed through various experiments and observations. However, there are still some aspects of the theory that are being studied and refined.

How does the theory of relativity impact our everyday lives?

The theory of relativity has had a significant impact on our understanding of the universe and has led to the development of numerous technologies such as GPS systems, nuclear energy, and medical imaging. It also plays a crucial role in modern physics and has influenced many other scientific fields.