How long does it take for the angle of the javelin to change from 35 to 20?

In summary: in the middle of a calculation, you must always use more sig figs than you need in the final answer …when you subtract 212 from 222, you obviously need the 22 to be a lot more accurate than to the nearest whole number! :wink:
Ohoneo

Homework Statement

In the javelin throw at a track-and-field event, the javelin is launched at a speed of 26 m/s at an angle of 35° above the horizontal. As the javelin travels upward, its velocity points above the horizontal at an angle that decreases as time passes. How much time is required for the angle to be reduced from 35° at launch to 20°?

Homework Equations

vy = v0y + ay t
y = x0 + vy t
y = v0y t + 1/2 ay t^2
vy^2 = v0y^2 + 2 ay y
(And also substitute x for y in the above for horizontal components)
vx = v cos theta
vy = v sin theta

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I thought that if I could find out how much the y component changes, I could plug it into the vy = v0y + ay t equation.
So, I found the vertical component of when the javelin is released at 35 degrees to be 15 m/s, and the vertical component at 20 degrees is 8.9 m/s.
I found this by:
vy = 26 sin 35 = 15 m/s
vy = 26 sin 20 = 8.9 m/s
Then, I plugged it into the kinematic equation:
8.9 m = 15 m + (-9.8 m/s)t
t = .62 seconds

Unfortunately, this turned out to be incorrect. Any help is appreciated! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ohoneo! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)
Ohoneo said:
vy = 26 sin 35 = 15 m/s
vy = 26 sin 20 = 8.9 m/s

No, you're assuming that the speed is constant. :redface:

What is constant? :wink:

tiny-tim said:

(have a theta: θ and try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)

No, you're assuming that the speed is constant. :redface:

What is constant? :wink:

Ah, thanks! I was wondering how to enter those!
See, that's where I'm confused. Acceleration would be constant in the y direction (-9.80 m/s2), and then acceleration would be 0 in the x direction... but, then, nothing else is constant.

Ohoneo said:
… acceleration would be 0 in the x direction...

yup! :smile: … so the component of velocity in the x direction must be constant! :wink:

tiny-tim said:
yup! :smile: … so the component of velocity in the x direction must be constant! :wink:

Alright, so using that I found that at 20 degrees, vx = 21 m/s
So, I need to find v, or vy.
to do that, I plugged in 21 = v cos 20
So I found that v = 22 m/s
Then I plugged that into 222 = 212 + vy2
So I got vy = 7.6. So I plugged into vy(final) = vy(initial) + ayt
And I got t = .13 seconds.. which is still wrong =/

Your equations look correct, but you're not using enough significant figures

in the middle of a calculation, you must always use more sig figs than you need in the final answer …

when you subtract 212 from 222, you obviously need the 22 to be a lot more accurate than to the nearest whole number! :wink:

Try again, using two decimal places until the end. :smile:

1. How is the angle of the javelin measured?

The angle of the javelin is typically measured in degrees using a protractor or angle measuring tool.

2. What factors can affect the time it takes for the angle to change?

The time it takes for the angle of the javelin to change can be affected by several factors such as the force applied, the weight and shape of the javelin, and air resistance.

3. Is there a specific formula to calculate the time it takes for the angle to change?

Yes, the time it takes for the angle of the javelin to change can be calculated using the formula t = √(2θ/g), where t is the time in seconds, θ is the angle in degrees, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Can the angle of the javelin change instantly?

No, the angle of the javelin changes over time due to the effects of gravity and other external factors. It cannot change instantly.

5. Is there an ideal angle for throwing a javelin?

Yes, the ideal angle for throwing a javelin is around 35 degrees. This allows for the maximum distance and accuracy of the throw.