Projectile motion cannon ball angle

In summary, the ball must be fired with an initial speed of 27.39 m/s to just hit the top of the cliff.
Asdf123
I need a bit of help with this simple question, it's not difficult at all but I just can't see what I did wrong. I'm overlooking a crucial thing

A cannon is placed 40m away from a 37.5m high cliff.
The cannon fires a ball with an angle of 45 degrees to the horizontal.
The gravitational acceleration is 10 m/s^2.

The question is: with what mininum initial speed must the ball be fired so that it just hits the top of the cliff?

I tried to split the velocity in two components, both vx and vy.
vx = v0x * t (since there is no net force in the x-direction)
vy = v0y - gt (the only force that acts on the ball is gravity)

Since the ball is at it's highest point it's velocity in the y direction must be equal to 0. In that case, v0y = gt, so
t = v0y/g = v0y/10.
I can substitute this time in the equation for the y- position of the ball and find what the initial speed must be to reach that height
Sy = v0y*t - 1/2 * g * t^2
= v0y*t - 5*t^2
since t = v0y/10, and sy must be equal to 37.5
37.5 = 5/100 * v0y^2, v0y = sqrt(750) = 27.39
So v0 = 27.39/sin (45) =38.73 m/s

However, my textbook gives as answer v0 = 80 m/s. What am I doing wrong?

Likes nusaiba mustafa
Physics news on Phys.org
First off, I see a with your [itex]v_{0x}[/itex], was that a typo? Easy to notice because the units are off.

Likes nusaiba mustafa
What you did looks fine. If you now consider what happens in the x-direction, you should find that you are hitting the wall, so to speak; i.e. the ball hits the wall before it is at it's highest point! Draw a picture and reconsider your starting assumption "Since the ball is at it's highest point it's velocity in the y direction must be equal to 0"

Ok, after analyzing the problem slightly more I see one flaw in your argument. I did get 80 m/s too. The flaw: you assume that [itex]v_y=0[/itex] when hitting the target. When, in fact, all the question is asking is to hit the top of the cliff. You could be past the highest point or before the highest point, thus you can't conclude that.

You are approaching the problem correctly though. Breaking it up into [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] components yields two equations of parabolic motion. You should attempt to find the time with information you already know though (Look at my comment above for a hint, if you correct this equation you can find time.) Then substituting into the other equation will allow you to find [itex]v_{0}[/itex] directly.

The answer will be 80 m/s exact, too. Also, note that

[itex]v_{x}=v\cos{\theta}[/itex]
[itex]v_{y}=v\sin{\theta}[/itex]
[itex]\theta=45[/itex] degrees

Likes nusaiba mustafa
Ah I now realize that my substition for t should have been 40/v0x since the required initial speed to hit the top of the cliff depends on both vertical and horizontal speed. I now got precisely 80 m/s. Thanks a lot, I feel a bit silly now.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is thrown or launched into the air and moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity.

2. What is a cannon ball angle?

A cannon ball angle is the angle at which a cannon ball is launched from a cannon. It is measured in degrees and can affect the trajectory and distance of the cannon ball.

3. How does the angle of a cannon ball affect its range?

The angle of a cannon ball affects its range by determining the initial velocity and trajectory of the ball. A higher angle will result in a longer flight time and a greater range, while a lower angle will result in a shorter flight time and a shorter range.

4. What is the optimal angle for maximum range in projectile motion?

The optimal angle for maximum range in projectile motion is 45 degrees. This angle allows for the greatest distance traveled while still maintaining a relatively low launch angle and minimizing air resistance.

5. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a cannon ball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the trajectory of a cannon ball by slowing down the ball and altering its flight path. This means that the actual range of the cannon ball may be shorter than predicted by theoretical models that do not take air resistance into account.