1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How long does it take on avg. to finish Spivak's Calculus book?

1. Oct 24, 2007 #1
    i would like to gain a deeper understanding of Calculus so i'm planning on self-studying more on the side. i will do majority of my studies during winter break but i'd like to know long it takes a student who has already taken Calculus 2 to finish his book?

i know it's dependent on the person, but i'm committed and would just like to know.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2007 #2
    Why not just get a regular analysis book like Pugh? He explains things very well. I don't think Spivak covers metric spaces or topology. Spivak is more like a half calculus/ half analysis book. In my opinion, it is pretty overrated.Here is the book.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  4. Oct 24, 2007 #3
    If you're going back over it for mastery...possibly years. ;)

It's not something you really want to do for speed...figure first pass over the course of a few months, maybe? Not full time, obviously. You don't want to do it as a block, anyway, you need time to digest & rest.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?