How Long Does It Take to Hear a Stone Hit the Bottom of a Shaft?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ahrog
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Time
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
ahrog
Messages
45
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Someone drops a stone into a mine shaft 122.5 m deep. How soon after she drops the stone does she hear it hit the bottom of the shaft?


Homework Equations


v= wavelength x frequency


The Attempt at a Solution


I changed the equation to be:
d/t=wf
t=d/wf
t=122.5m/(343m/s x f)

And I'm stuck there...I don't get how to get the frequency

My textbook doesn't even refer to something like this, so I'm extremely confused...It's like asking someone about something they've never learned before...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
First you need to figure the time for it to fall 122.5m, then add the time for the sound to return.

Δt = D/Vsound
 
I got the falling part time to be 5 seconds.

And for the time for the sound to return, how do I figure that out? If the velocity for the sound is wavelength x frequency which I have only the wavelength, how can I find the time?
 
t=122.5m/(343m/s x f)
Here f in not needed. time = distance/velocity.