How long for a gas molecule to drift 1 meter from its starting point?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Buzzworks
Messages
69
Reaction score
1
Has anyone made a calculation for example, how much (or the mean) time it takes for an individual gas molecule to be displaced a distance of one meter (measured straight) from its original location?

For example, air molecule at ambient pressure with a mean free path of 68 nm. That would be an incredible amount of collisions before it reaches 1 meter from its initial location.

I can't find any such info in google and I'm not in the field of chemistry.

Could anyone give me a mean figure, appreciate it!
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Thank you, well, I don't actually need a 'precise' value of the mean.

If you're saying that diffusion gives a good approximation of the speed, then that is good enough for me.