How long will it take to freeze a 16 carbon steel pipe using liquid nitrogen?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
dvdlane
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Please help. I am Trying to calculate the time taken to freeze a 16" carbon steel pipe that is full of water with no flow. The water is at 20 oC and am using Liquid nitrogen feed into an insulated pipe freezing jacket surrounding the pipe to freeze it.

If anyone can help with the calculations then your help would be much appreciated.

thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I meant to add that I also need to calculate the volume of liquid nitrogen required to freeze the pipe, then the volume to maintain the freeze for a period of time.

thank you all in advance for your help
 
The pipe is very long but the section being frozen is within the pipe freezing jacket. The pipe jacket has an internal length of 0.5m where the liquid nitrogen will be in contact with the pipe. The pipe jacket when full will hold 68 Litres of LN2.