How making the ions leave the cavity in a ion sources

In summary, ion sources use noble gas plasma to create ions that are then projected outside the device, either in a vacuum or in the air, for various applications such as particle acceleration or metal plating. To prevent the vacuum in the cavity from being destroyed, a technical means is used to allow the ions to escape without creating a hole. This could include using a plasma window or a solid window with a high enough ion energy. The material and thickness of the solid window will vary depending on the specific application."
coquelicot
TL;DR Summary
Asking by what technical mean do the ions get out of the cavity in ion sources, whenever the ions are ejected in an environment at atmospheric pressure
Ion sources are devices that allow creating ion beams (e.g. argon ions) and to project them outside the device, for example to be further processed by a particle accelerator, or to irradiate materials or biological tissues etc.

The ions are usually created by a plasma inside a cavity filled with a noble gas maintained at very low pressure inside the cavity. Then the ions are projected outside the cavity, not necessarily inside vacuum, but also in the air at usual atmospheric pressure (e.g. for metal plating).

So, the cavity cannot have a hole to let the ions get out, otherwise the vacuum in the cavity would be destroyed. My question is by what technical mean do they make ions get out of the cavity?

Physics news on Phys.org
I know metal plating options that work without vacuum and I know ion plating in vacuum but I haven't seen a combination of that. A plasma window would be an option. With a sufficiently large ion energy you can use a thin solid window, too.

Likes coquelicot
mfb said:
I know metal plating options that work without vacuum and I know ion plating in vacuum but I haven't seen a combination of that. A plasma window would be an option. With a sufficiently large ion energy you can use a thin solid window, too.
Thanks for the link to plasma window technology I was unaware of.
Returning to more conventional technologies, could you please indicate me in what material is a solid window made of, and what should be its thickness (order of magnitude). thx.

That will depend too much on the specific application.

1. How do ions leave the cavity in an ion source?

Ions leave the cavity in an ion source through a process called ionization. This involves using an electric field to strip electrons from neutral atoms or molecules, creating positively charged ions. These ions are then accelerated out of the cavity using an electric field.

2. What is the purpose of making ions leave the cavity in an ion source?

The main purpose of making ions leave the cavity in an ion source is to produce a beam of ions that can be used for various applications such as materials analysis, medical treatments, and particle accelerators. The ions can also be used for ion implantation, which is a process used in semiconductor manufacturing.

3. How is the electric field used to accelerate ions out of the cavity?

The electric field is created by applying a voltage difference between the electrodes in the ion source. This creates a potential difference that accelerates the ions towards the exit of the cavity. The strength of the electric field can be adjusted to control the speed and direction of the ions.

4. What factors affect the efficiency of ions leaving the cavity in an ion source?

The efficiency of ions leaving the cavity in an ion source can be affected by several factors, including the strength of the electric field, the type of gas used in the ion source, and the design of the ion source itself. Additionally, the temperature and pressure inside the cavity can also impact the efficiency of ionization and the resulting ion beam.

5. Are there any challenges in making ions leave the cavity in an ion source?

Yes, there are several challenges in making ions leave the cavity in an ion source. One major challenge is ensuring that the ions are evenly distributed and have the desired energy and direction. This requires careful design and optimization of the ion source. Additionally, the presence of impurities or contaminants in the gas can affect the ionization process and result in a less efficient ion beam.