How does a molecule turn into a noticably tangible thing

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of single molecules and their visibility. It is mentioned that liquids are made up of individual molecules piled on top of each other, while in solids, molecules are rigidly bonded together. The concept of intermolecular forces is also mentioned as the reason for molecules sticking together. It is clarified that table salt is a solid at STP and is made up of a single type of molecule, sodium chloride. The conversation also touches on the idea of crystals being thought of as really big molecules, with the smallest representation being the molecular formula. The idea of polymers and their single molecule makeup is also mentioned towards the end of the conversation.
AMan24
Firstly, i know this question is worded strangely, i wrote noticeably tangible because a molecule is a tangible thing but not visible to the eye without equipment. But my question is, how do we get a single molecule, and increase its size to be visible? For example a cup of water is like a collection of many water molecules. Are these molecules combing with each other or just near each other? What about a solid object? I can't think of any solid objects that are made of a single type of molecule off the top of my head...

I guess to kind of simplify my question. Do collections of the same molecule combine with each other or stack on top of each other? Or something else?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
See "aggregation," or "bulk properties."

Likes AMan24
Water is a liquid and liquids are literally just individual molecules piled on top of each other. In solids, the molecules are rigidly bonded together.

Likes symbolipoint and AMan24
Intermolecular forces are what makes molecules stick together. Also google for network covalent bonding.

Likes Fervent Freyja and AMan24
AMan24 said:
I can't think of any solid objects that are made of a single type of molecule off the top of my head...

Why not? Table salt is a sold at STP, and it is made up of a single type of molecule. Are you confusing molecules with atoms? Even then, gold is a solid, and it is made up of a single type of atom.

You may not notice a single gnat flying around, but you sure would notice 6.02x10^23 of them!

Similarly, single molecules will absorb or scatter very small amounts of light that are undetectable by the human eye. Large collections of these molecules, however, will scatter or absorb enough light to be noticeable by us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Fervent Freyja and symbolipoint
Kevin McHugh said:
Why not? Table salt is a sold at STP, and it is made up of a single type of molecule. Are you confusing molecules with atoms? Even then, gold is a solid, and it is made up of a single type of atom.
Many, MANY molecules collected near enough to each other become tangible.

(Note: Table Salt is Sodium Chloride. STP is Sodium Triphosphate. Better name, Sodium Tripolyphosphate; )

symbolipoint said:
Many, MANY molecules collected near enough to each other become tangible.

(Note: Table Salt is Sodium Chloride. STP is Sodium Triphosphate. Better name, Sodium Tripolyphosphate; )

STP means standard temperature and pressure.

Kevin McHugh said:
STP means standard temperature and pressure.

Table salt is a sold at STP
I did not see earlier. "sold" was meant to be "solid"; "at" was not understood but misunderstood for "as".

symbolipoint said:
I did not see earlier. "sold" was meant to be "solid"; "at" was not understood but misunderstood for "as".
My bad, I can't see or type well :smile:

AMan24 said:
how do we get a single molecule, and increase its size to be visible
What is a single molecule in a crystal? A crystal can be thought of as a really big molecule.
For something such as a NaCl ( table salt ) one can think all the atoms of sodium and all the atoms of chlorine as bonding together into one really big molecule. After all, each Na is bonded to all the chlorine atoms around it, and in turn each chlorine atom is bonded to all the sodium atoms surrounding it.
The unit Na-Cl is just the smallest representation of those atoms, and gives the molecular formula of table salt.

When an object is made out of a polymer, the single object may be a one single molecule, if you have the right type of polymer for which this is true.

1. How does a molecule turn into a noticeably tangible thing?

The process of a molecule turning into a tangible thing involves a series of physical and chemical changes. Molecules are made up of atoms that are held together by chemical bonds. In order for a molecule to become tangible, these bonds must be broken and rearranged in a specific way. This often requires energy, whether it be in the form of heat, light, or other external factors. Once the chemical bonds are rearranged, the molecule takes on a new form that can be seen, touched, or otherwise detected by our senses.

2. What factors affect the transformation of a molecule into a tangible thing?

The transformation of a molecule into a tangible thing can be affected by a variety of factors, including temperature, pressure, and the presence of other molecules or substances. The type and strength of chemical bonds within the molecule also play a significant role in the transformation process. Additionally, the environment in which the transformation occurs can also impact the final tangible form of the molecule.

3. Can any molecule turn into a tangible thing?

No, not all molecules have the ability to transform into a tangible form. This depends on the type and arrangement of atoms within the molecule, as well as the strength and flexibility of the chemical bonds holding them together. Some molecules may require extreme conditions or specialized processes in order to become tangible, while others may not have the capability at all.

4. How long does it take for a molecule to transform into a tangible thing?

The time it takes for a molecule to transform into a tangible thing can vary greatly depending on the specific molecule and the conditions in which the transformation is occurring. Some transformations may happen almost instantly, while others may take hours, days, or even longer. The process may also be influenced by external factors, such as the presence of catalysts or inhibitors.

5. What are some examples of molecules turning into tangible things?

There are countless examples of molecules transforming into tangible things in our everyday lives. For instance, when water molecules freeze, they turn into solid ice. When carbon dioxide molecules combine with water molecules, they can form a tangible substance known as carbonic acid. In the human body, molecules such as proteins and lipids are constantly being transformed into tangible tissues and organs. The process of photosynthesis also involves the transformation of carbon dioxide molecules and water molecules into tangible sugars and oxygen.