Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many clocks are there in your home/dwelling?

1. Oct 28, 2007 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Cristo's thread "Clocks go back?" prompts me to ask the question - "How many clocks are there in your home/dwelling/abode?"

I count 5 clocks in our kitchen - microwave, stove, coffee maker, wall clock (battery powered with bird sounds), and over-the-counter clock radio.

One in the living room - VCR.

Three in the master bedroom - the satellite clock, and two radio/alarm clocks.

Then each computer and cell phone :rolleyes:

Then there are watches - but I don't wear one.

I'm sure there are more.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2007 #2

Evo

Working? Three in the kitchen - stove, microwave and coffeemaker, all off by one minute each, hey I can only program one at a time. Computer and cell phone. So 5.

4. Oct 28, 2007 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Yep! You can add in each digital camera in the house, too.

5. Oct 28, 2007 #4
    digital thermostat

6. Oct 28, 2007 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

22 or so in my house (1 wall clock, 5 alarm clocks, plus clocks in the microwave, oven, coffee pot, cable receiver, DVD recorder, and a clock in each of 4 computers, 3 TVs, and 4 cell phones). Do the immediate surroundings count? If so, add the clocks in the 3 vehicles parked just outside the front door.

I don't wear a watch because I am surrounded by clocks.

7. Oct 28, 2007 #6

Evo

Before my house was hit by lightning and 4 cars totalled by baseball size hail, I would have outnumbered you. :biggrin:

8. Oct 28, 2007 #7

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We have four clocks (computer, stove, microwave, portable radio) plus the watches that my wife and I both wear. I only ever use my watch and the computer clock to check the time.

9. Oct 28, 2007 #8

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

At least 19 and most read different times. Probably at least half are within a few minutes of the correct time. Nearly half will be within a few minutes of the correct time in about a week. A few only tell the correct time twice a day.

10. Oct 28, 2007 #9

Astronuc

I gave up wearing watches back in early years of university - they kept getting destroyed. Not even a Timex could survive attached to me. :biggrin:

11. Oct 28, 2007 #10

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ive got a wall clock in my room, a watch, a clock on both my cell phone and computer, and one in the open living area-- so that's 5 in total; although only the automatic ones (computer and phone) tell the correct time at present!

Wow.. you must be a very heavy sleeper!

12. Oct 28, 2007 #11

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can set them to go off sequentially 30 seconds apart along a path to the coffee pot. What a concept!

13. Oct 28, 2007 #12

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I only have one alarm clock. My wife and my three sons have one each.

14. Oct 28, 2007 #13

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yea, I guessed it was something like that. I was only making a joke, really. There are some days when I could do with 5 alarm clocks though! :zzz:

15. Oct 28, 2007 #14

turbo

Gold Member

Over 30 years ago, my friend inherited a drug-store (the old-fashioned rural drug store that carried lots of dry goods, jewelry, etc) and the 3-story family home next door. His grandfather and his great-grandfather were both jewelers and they repaired clocks, too. There was a clock in about every room of that big place, and one day after Bill and his wife had gotten settled in, he and I set out to start up and regulate every clock. We thought it would be a good idea to wind up or set the counter-weights operating all the sounders, too. Most of the clocks would toll the hour and many would also chime for each quarter-hour. The next day, his wife (a light sleeper, apparently) let us know in no uncertain terms that it had NOT been a good idea to activate all the sounders and that we had to disable them all or face dire consequences.

16. Oct 28, 2007 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've been gradually reducing clocks, because it was getting to the point where I didn't need to turn on lights at night with all the things with numbers glowing at me.

The kitchen has the microwave, range, and a battery-operated analog clock on the wall (so I have something to set all the other clocks by when the power goes out). I wouldn't bother setting the ones on the microwave and range if either one would operate without the clocks set (I don't use either clock for telling time, and it's a pain to keep resetting them after every power outage).

There's an alarm clock in my bedroom, and one in the guest bedroom (though the one in the guest room is probably blinking 12:00 at this point...I never check it after power failures, only worry about it if I have a guest visiting who needs the alarm, which is rare).

In my office, I use the clock on the computer to keep track of time (usually it's better to not know what time it is when I'm in my office getting work done :rolleyes:). That said, I'm also up to 3 computers now, so that's 3 clocks total there, but they all set themselves, so I don't worry about them.

The cellphone has replaced wearing a watch. Clock in the car too.

I no longer have VCRs or DVD players or coffee makers that display the time, which is great.

17. Oct 28, 2007 #16
    Did the cars crash into your house to get out of the hail?

I only have 2 working clocks, my computer and my alarm clock. I guess I can count the 2 in the kitchen also, but I haven't reset them since I lost power months ago and they are 20 minutes slow.

If I actually put batteries in everything and set all the timers properly I would have 9 in my apartment and 1 in my car.

18. Oct 28, 2007 #17

Mk

Counting one in each computer and one in each cell phone, that's six. Then two VCRs, and four clock clocks, and one wallphone that has a clock in it I think. Oh, and the fax machine has a clock. So that's 14! I'm sure there are more hidden somewhere with non necessarily a digital readout.

19. Oct 28, 2007 #18

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can anyone "top" this for clocks at home? Five years ago, during my last year as a bachelor, I had the clock on my portable radio and my watch.

At work, I had the clock on my computer and my watch.

20. Oct 28, 2007 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Reminds me of a visit to a friends' house once. I was sleeping on the pull-out sofa in the living room, and woke up EVERY HOUR to the cuckoo clock they had in there. :grumpy: First thing the next day, I made them shut off the cuckoo mechanism in it. They were so used to hearing it, they completely forgot it was there and might keep someone awake at night who wasn't used to it...especially when it was directly over the sofa I was sleeping on! Needless to say, I needed a nap that afternoon to get through the day.

21. Oct 28, 2007 #20

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Update: The count is well over 30. Disgusting. Add four watches (none mine), two stopwatches (both mine; I used to be a referee), digital thermostat, 3 telephones, two stereos, a VCR, and a digital television. The clocks in the three cars make the count closer to 40.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?