Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many dimensions are there in a black hole

1. Nov 2, 2011 #1
    Can anyone tell me that how many dimensions are there in a black hole and which are the dimension

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2011 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  4. Nov 2, 2011 #3
    Re: Black Hole

can u please tell me the name of those four dimensios which exists in black hole

5. Nov 2, 2011 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I just did: after "executive summary" in post #2.
    3 time-like and 1 space-like.

If you want to know what that means you'll just have to read the links.
    There's no royal road for this one - sorry.
    Perhaps if you told me what you want to know for?

6. Nov 2, 2011 #5

thank you very much for the quick and fruitful reply and I did not want specially anything I am just curious to know about black holes.........again a heartest thanks

7. Nov 2, 2011 #6

those are very useful informations and links, thanks to all, keep it up..

8. Nov 2, 2011 #7

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No worries and happy hunting :)

I find that pairing references like this can help - the Berkely FAQ will help refine questions. You get all the way through it and you have a chance of understanding the Haldenwang paper ... even if you don't follow the math.

9. Nov 2, 2011 #8

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No worries and happy hunting :)

I find that pairing references like this can help - the Berkely FAQ will help refine questions. You get all the way through it and you have a chance of understanding the Haldenwang paper ... even if you don't follow the math.

10. Nov 8, 2011 #9

can anyone please clarify my doubt related to black hole i.e. when black suck objects inside event horizon it hits singularity but it obtain some space in black hole then it must lead to a conclusion that the size of black need to be increased as time pass (when black hole is in active mode) so this means that supermassive black hole has gone through this process and hence quasar is formed. please clarify

11. Nov 9, 2011 #10

There's a massive distance between the event horizon (which is nothing more than an optical barrier) and the hypothesized singularity.

There are theories about how black holes both accrete and shed mass. But that is not necessarily related to the formation of quasars.

Quasars are formed from the accretion disk surrounding black holes. They are considered to be early objects within the time span of universal expansion.

12. Nov 9, 2011 #11

The thing is this that there is massive distance between event horizon and hypothesized singularity of a massive black hole but when a black hole is not that big then these forces act very soon..........

13. Nov 9, 2011 #12

and related to formation of quasar that is what i am asking if a small black hole suck lots of things its mass could increase and thus there is a formation of accretion disk and thus quasar is that is the process?

14. Nov 9, 2011 #13

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Sure. How do you think quasars initially formed? The only problem in todays time is that one of the only places there is a high enough concentration of mass to form a quasar is in the center of a galaxy. Which usually happens to already have a supermassive black hole that has already absorbed most of that mass. So we don't really have the conditions to form many quasars at this point in time.

15. Nov 9, 2011 #14

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A quasar could care less about the presumed 'singularity'. All the radiation is emitted from outside the event horizon, as has already been noted.

16. Nov 9, 2011 #15

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

As the mass of a black hole increases, the radius of the event horizon from the center also increases. It is currently unknown about the ultimate fate of matter and energy that falls into a black hole and passes the event horizon, so no one can really say much about the singularity.

17. Nov 10, 2011 #16

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

How long would it take for something to enter a black hole, from the pov of someone well outside it?

NOte: smallest BH found has about 12km to the center, and the biggest (stellar) BH has 50-odd kms. Not that far.

The galactic-center supermassive is supposed to be 13-14million kms to it's center so there you'd be travelling a while. There is a tendancy to think of these things as super-dense as well, like stellar BHs, but that need not be the case.

18. Nov 10, 2011 #17

according to the different studies given on internet it is said that according to the observer who is looking at a black hole it would take a huge amount of time which is considered to be as forever but on the other hand the thing which is falling in the black hole (supermassive) it would take around 7 seconds to hit singularity and for black hole (small in size) gravitational pull will tear the object apart before even entering the black hole.

19. Nov 10, 2011 #18

Probably the thing is when a black hole pulls enough things inside that can increase its radius to an extent where the end side escape velocity is less than velocity of light we see that there is an object emmitting light but actually it is the black hole which has increased its size to that extent (and it may true that's how a quasar is generated)

20. Nov 10, 2011 #19

can anyone please tell that is it possible that even black holes magnetic poles inside it

21. Nov 10, 2011 #20

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

BHs can have mass, spin, entropy and charge ... spinning charged hole will have a magnetic field. This would be a Kerr Black Hole. You can also get a magnetic field without spin ... see:
    http://burro.cwru.edu/stu/advanced/stars_blackhole.html [Broken]

As for magnets inside them - Haldenwang
    http://members.cox.net/jhaldenwang/black_hole.htm
    - discusses the possibility of our Universe being inside a BH. That would include magnets.

If it takes an infinite time for an object to cross into a BH, viewed from a outside, then in what sense would a BH increase it's mass over time?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook