How Many Electrons Does a Cathode Ray Tube Emit Per Second?

In summary, the conversation discusses the beam of electrons in a cathode ray tube, with a speed of 8.4x106 ms-1 and a current of 2.8 micro A. The problem asks for the number of electrons emitted per second from the cathode and the number of electrons per unit length of the beam. Using the equation I=q/t, the number of electrons emitted per second is calculated to be 1.75x1013. To find the number of electrons per unit length, one must consider the charge on each electron (1.6x10-19 C) and the distance over which the beam is switched on.
chocolatePI

Homework Statement

The beam of electrons in a cathode ray tube contains electrons traveling at 8.4x106 ms-1 and the current throgh the tube is 2.8 micro A.
a) how many electrons are emitted per second from the cathode of the tube
b) what is the number of electrons per unit length of the beam?

Homework Equations

I=nAvq
q=16.x10-19
there are more equations involved in the proof of I=nAvq which might be needed

The Attempt at a Solution

possibly involves Q=nAvte ?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of current?

Likes chocolatePI
current = rate of flow of charge
I=q/t
but I am not sure how to use the information in the question in this context?

chocolatePI said:
current = rate of flow of charge
I=q/t
but I am not sure how to use the information in the question in this context?
What units might you assign to the q and t in your formula?

Likes chocolatePI
q= C - coloumbs
t= s- seconds
meaning charge A = C/s

which equation would i use to put this into ?

chocolatePI said:
q= C - coloumbs
t= s- seconds
meaning charge A = C/s

which equation would i use to put this into ?
You're given the current value. So you know how many Coulombs per second are flowing from the cathode. How many electrons per second does that represent? (Whats the charge on every electron?)

Likes chocolatePI
so 2.8x10-6 / 1.6x10-19 for part a?

chocolatePI said:
so 2.8x10-6 / 1.6x10-19 for part a?
Put in the units and you'd be correct.

Likes chocolatePI
any tips on part b?

chocolatePI said:
any tips on part b?
What are your thoughts? See if you can imagine a scenario where you can count the number of electrons over a known distance. Suppose, for example, the beam is switched on for exactly one second...

Related to How Many Electrons Does a Cathode Ray Tube Emit Per Second?

1. How are electrons emitted per second measured?

Electrons emitted per second, or emission current, is typically measured using a device called an ammeter. This device measures the flow of electric current by detecting the movement of electrons through a circuit.

2. What factors affect the number of electrons emitted per second?

The number of electrons emitted per second can be affected by various factors such as temperature, voltage, and the type of material used. Higher temperatures and voltages can increase the rate of electron emission, while the type of material and its surface properties can also impact the emission rate.

3. How is the emission of electrons related to the energy of the electrons?

The emission of electrons is directly related to the energy of the electrons. In order for electrons to be emitted from a material, they must have enough energy to overcome the material's work function, which is the minimum amount of energy needed to remove an electron from the material's surface.

4. What is the significance of measuring electrons emitted per second?

Measuring electrons emitted per second is important in various fields such as electronics, physics, and chemistry. It helps to understand the behavior of electrons, their interactions with materials, and how they can be manipulated for practical applications.

5. Can the emission of electrons be controlled?

Yes, the emission of electrons can be controlled through various methods such as applying a voltage, changing the material's surface properties, or using external stimuli like light or heat. This control over electron emission is crucial in the development of electronic devices and technologies.