How Many Photons Does a 100 W Bulb Emit Per Second?

• Thread starter Brammo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photons
In summary: This section is for summaries only.In summary, the approximate number of photons of visible light (500 nm) emitted by a 100 W bulb is 2.5*10^20 photons/second. It is important to note that this value assumes 100W of light energy being emitted, not electrical energy. However, if the bulb is only 4% efficient, the actual number of photons emitted would be closer to 10^18 photons/second. It is important to understand the formula and the assumptions being made to correctly solve this type of question.
Brammo
Estimate how many photons of visible light (500 nm) are emitted by a 100 W Bulb.

I get 2.5[itex]\times[/itex]10[itex]^{20}[/itex] Photons/Second

Am I correct?

Thank you.

EDIT: Added units.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Two questions:

(1) Do you mean 2.5*10^20 photons/second?

(2) Does a 100W bulb emit 100W of light energy, or does it use 100W of electrical energy (or both)?

(1) yes, sorry. (2) I assume it means 100w of light energy. But what would the answer be if it was electrical?

It doesn't mean 100W of light energy. An incandescent bulb is only about 4% efficient, and so only puts out about 4W of light energy.

Ok well these are practice questions written by a physics professor. The answer he has written at the bottom of the questions is approximately 10^20 photons/second. I just wanted to know where i had gone wrong if I had. The question is as above and its not something you need to pick apart I was just asking for a little bit of help is all. It does mean 100W of light energy. So am I correct or am I incorrect? The idea is for us to learn and understand the formula.

Substituting in the value of 4W give you 10^18 photons/second which is much further out.

Brammo said:
Ok well these are practice questions written by a physics professor.

Then please post this in the appropriate section.

Related to How Many Photons Does a 100 W Bulb Emit Per Second?

1. What are photons?

Photons are tiny packets of energy that make up electromagnetic radiation, including visible light. They are considered fundamental particles and are the basic unit of light.

2. How do photons travel?

Photons travel at the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. They do not have a mass and can travel through empty space without any resistance.

3. How are photons created?

Photons can be created through various processes such as atomic transitions, nuclear reactions, and particle interactions. They can also be produced by accelerating charged particles or by heating matter.

4. Can photons be destroyed?

Photons cannot be destroyed, but they can be absorbed by matter. When a photon is absorbed, its energy is transferred to the absorbing material, causing an increase in the energy level of its atoms.

5. How do photons interact with matter?

Photons can interact with matter in several ways, including absorption, scattering, and emission. When a photon interacts with an atom, it can be absorbed and cause an electron to jump to a higher energy level, or it can be scattered in a different direction. Photons can also be emitted when an electron returns to a lower energy state.