How many elements are in a set of unique rational numbers from 1 to 9?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Born
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Counting Set
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Born
Messages
31
Reaction score
1
Let ##T = \{ \frac{n}{m}\in \mathbb{Q} \vert n, m \in \{ 1, 2, ..., 9 \} \}##

No values can repeat (e.g. ##\frac{2}{2},\frac{3}{3},...##)

How many elements does the set have. I could just go ahead and count the elements and eliminate the repeats, but I'm wondering if there is a simpler (and more elegant) way to do it?

Thanks
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Born said:
Let ##T = \{ \frac{n}{m}\in \mathbb{Q} \vert n, m \in \{ 1, 2, ..., 9 \} \}##

No values can repeat (e.g. ##\frac{2}{2},frac{3}{3},...##

What is the question?
 
Sorry, edited the mistake. The question would be; is there a simpler (and more elegant) way to count the number of elements in the set?
 
I don't believe there is a more elegant way. At least I can't think of one.
 
I think this way is more "elegant", but is probably a slower way of counting elements in ##T_9##. I think this does provide a faster way of counting ##T_k = \left\{\dfrac{n}{m}: \enspace n,m\in\{1,...,k\}\right\}## for larger ##k\in \mathbb N##.

Let ##P=\{2,3,5,7\}##, the set of primes that divide ##9##. For each ##D\subseteq P##, let ##M_D## denote the set of numbers whose prime factorization has positive exponents for exactly the primes ##D##. Let ##\mathcal D = \{(D,E): \enspace D,E\subseteq P, \enspace D\cap E=\emptyset\}##.

Then ##T_9 = \bigcup_{(D,E)\in \mathcal D} \left\{ \dfrac{n}{m}: \enspace n\in M_D, m\in M_E \right\}##, and the last expression has no repetition anywhere.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Born said:
Let ##T = \{ \frac{n}{m}\in \mathbb{Q} \vert n, m \in \{ 1, 2, ..., 9 \} \}##

No values can repeat (e.g. ##\frac{2}{2},\frac{3}{3},...##)

How many elements does the set have. I could just go ahead and count the elements and eliminate the repeats, but I'm wondering if there is a simpler (and more elegant) way to do it?

Thanks

I don't think there is as simpler way, but you never know...