How many elements in a hand-full of sand ?

In summary, most of the 92 naturally occurring elements could be found in a handful of sand. Only a few of the more rare elements are not likely to be present.
B0b-A
How many of the [ 92?] naturally occurring elements could be found in hand-full of sand ?.
Including those only present at minuscule , but measurable , amounts.

320px-PismoBeachSand.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PismoBeachSand.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
Amost all of them, I would think.

Thanks Russ. I recently read of someone claiming that all the the natural elements would be present , but I wasn't sure if that was true.

B0b-A said:
How many of the [ 92?] naturally occurring elements could be found in hand-full of sand ?.
Including those only present at minuscule , but measurable , amounts.

320px-PismoBeachSand.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PismoBeachSand.JPG
I have read your post again and again and really have no idea what you would want to ask. What is [92?] ? Could you find any Documents about this yet ? No right ? o0)

Silicon Waffle said:
I have read your post again and again and really have no idea what you would want to ask. What is [92?] ? Could you find any Documents about this yet ? No right ? o0)
Well, how many naturally occurring elements do YOU think there are ? He did put a question mark with it and 92 certainly sounds about right.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Silicon Waffle said:
I have read your post again and again and really have no idea what you would want to ask.
How many of the 92 naturally occurring elements could be found in hand-full of sand?

Elements 93+ are unstable and considered not naturally occurring.

Likes Silicon Waffle
DaveC426913 said:
How many of the 92 naturally occurring elements could be found in hand-full of sand?

Elements 93+ are unstable and considered not naturally occurring.

Tc and Pr are unstable as well... Tc is also considered man-made.

I think there are only 81 stable elements: (everything below Bi, except for Tc and Pr). And that's going easy on Bi, which has a half-life of 1.9*10^10 Gyr...

Likes Silicon Waffle
You're also going to have issues with Technetium, Promethium, Astatine, and Francium, which all are short-lived and rare. (Two of which were produced artificially). Neon is unlikely. I don't know what the concentration of platinum group elements in seawater is - I suspect that the sand contains no (or very little) iridium, for example.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Iridium is one of the rarest, but it is indeed found in the Earth's crust (an over-abundance in some layers is how large metor impacts are identified), so I would assume that means in sand as well as dirt:
800px-Elemental_abundances.svg.png

Incidentally, I only count 78 elements there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridium#Occurrence

This actually says 98 are found in nature, with some of the very rarer ones found as scarce decay products of naturally occurring uranium:
http://chemistry.about.com/od/elementfaqs/f/How-Many-Elements-Can-Be-Found-Naturally.htm

Likes Silicon Waffle
Vanadium 50 said:
Neon is unlikely ...
If the handful of sand contains some air, [ e.g. dissolved in water present ] , it will probably include some neon.

Last edited:
Solubility of the noble gases in magma melts has been measured. Upon solidification, these elements will be encased within the crystal formation, and will be released either by diffusion to the surface, or weathering of the rock crystals into smaller structures.
upload_2015-3-13_2-42-34.png

Since the surface crust has come from volcanic activity and outpouring of magma, analysis of the melts can reveal information of composition of the major elements(approx. 10) and trace( approx. 80) in surface rock, and fragments ( ie sand).

Read more at, for an insight to the chemical composition of magma melts and factors affecting composition.
http://www.imwa.info/geochemistry/Chapters/Chapter07.pdf

One important aspect to consider is partitioning and diffusion between phases.
http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/mineralogy/mineral_physics/diffusion.html

Likes B0b-A

1. How many elements are present in a hand-full of sand?

The exact number of elements in a hand-full of sand can vary, but on average, there are thousands of different elements present. Sand is typically made up of silicon, oxygen, and other trace elements such as aluminum, iron, calcium, and sodium.

2. Can all the elements present in sand be identified?

No, it is not possible to identify all the elements present in sand. This is because sand can come from different sources, such as rocks, shells, and coral, which can have varying compositions of elements. Additionally, the size of the sand particles can also affect the ability to identify all the elements present.

3. Are the elements in sand evenly distributed?

No, the elements in sand are not evenly distributed. As mentioned earlier, sand can come from different sources, and the composition of elements can vary. Additionally, elements can also be affected by weathering and erosion, causing some areas to have a higher concentration of certain elements than others.

4. Is there a limit to the number of elements that can be found in sand?

Technically, there is no limit to the number of elements that can be found in sand. However, the most common elements found in sand are typically those that are more abundant in the Earth's crust, such as silicon and oxygen. Other elements may be present in very small quantities and may be difficult to detect.

5. Can sand contain radioactive elements?

Yes, sand can contain radioactive elements, such as uranium and thorium. These elements are naturally present in some types of rocks and minerals that make up sand. However, the concentration of radioactive elements in sand is usually very low and not considered harmful.