How many functions satisfy this set of conditions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the conditions for a logarithmic function to be defined abstractly and whether a specific function, log, is the only one that satisfies both conditions. One approach to proving this conjecture is using Cauchy's functional equation, but it may require additional conditions for a unique solution. The standard choice for these conditions is f(x.y) = f(x) + f(y) and f'(1)=1, which results in the unique solution of f(x) = log(x).
AdrianZ
How many functions satisfy this set of conditions? 1) f(x.y) = f(x) + f(y). 2) f(a)=1.
I was trying to define a logarithmic function abstractly as a map from R+ to R satisfying those 2 conditions that this question came to my mind. It's obvious that there are infinitely many functions satisfying the 1st condition (each logarithmic function in an arbitrary base satisfies the first condition). but I hope that the 2nd condition could be used to prove that only one fixed function satisfies both conditions (namely, I want to prove that only loga satisfies both conditions and then I'll use this idea to abstractly define the map loga: R+ -> R).
Is there any way to prove or disprove this conjecture? I've been trying to prove it from tomorrow morning and have failed so far. my idea is to define h(x) = f(x) - g(x) where f and g are functions with the same domain satisfying those 2 conditions and then to show that h(x)=0 for all x's in the domain.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What exactly do you require of your function f? I'm assuming it is real-valued, but what set is it from? You example of log is just a function [itex]\mathbb{R}^+ \to \mathbb{R}[/itex]. Are we just looking for a function [itex]A \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] where A is any set of real numbers that contains a and is closed under multiplication? Furthermore do you require f to be continuous?

One approach you may try is to define [itex]F : \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] by
[tex]F(x) = f(e^x)[/tex]
F will then satisfy Cauchy's functional equation (look it up on e.g. Wikipedia if you have never heard of it) which should help you conclude some stuff about the solutions. In particular if you require some nice conditions like continuity at a point you will get a unique solution, but otherwise you will have an infinite family of solutions.

If you are using the axiom of choice there are infinitely many and all of them except log are really horrible. You probably want some other condition on f. Many would work but the standard choice is
for all 0<x,y
1) f(x.y) = f(x) + f(y). 2) f'(1)=1.
There is only one such function f(x)=log(x)

1. How do you determine the number of functions that satisfy a given set of conditions?

The number of functions that satisfy a set of conditions can be determined by analyzing the conditions and their relationships. This may involve using mathematical techniques such as combinatorics or probability, depending on the specific conditions.

2. What factors can affect the number of functions that satisfy a set of conditions?

The number of functions that satisfy a set of conditions can be affected by various factors such as the number of variables, the complexity of the conditions, and the type of functions being considered (e.g. linear, quadratic, exponential).

3. Is there a formula for calculating the number of functions that satisfy a given set of conditions?

There is no single formula that can be applied to all sets of conditions to determine the number of satisfying functions. However, depending on the conditions, there may be specific formulas or techniques that can be used to calculate the number of functions.

4. Can the number of functions that satisfy a set of conditions be infinite?

In some cases, the number of functions that satisfy a set of conditions may be infinite. This can occur when the conditions allow for an infinite number of possible inputs and outputs, or when the conditions are open-ended and do not have a specific limit.

5. How can knowing the number of functions that satisfy a set of conditions be useful?

Knowing the number of functions that satisfy a set of conditions can be useful in various fields of study, such as mathematics, computer science, and economics. It can also help in problem-solving and decision-making, as well as in understanding the complexity and possibilities of a given system or situation.