How many Grad School applications are reasonable?

In summary, if you are planning on applying to multiple PhD programs next year, it is reasonable to ask your recommendation writers to send letters to five different schools. However, if you only apply to one or two schools, and you don't get accepted, you will have to wait around with a minimum wage job for a whole year before trying again.
Hercuflea
Hey everybody,

Im planning on applying to Nuclear Engineering PhD programs next year and I was wondering if it is reasonable to ask my recommendation-writers to send the letters to 5 different schools? Do most people just apply to one grad school? Seeing as they all require three letters of recommendation, the more applications you make, it seems that the harder and harder it would be to gather the necessary materials. However, if I only apply to one or two schools, and I don't get accepted, I will have to wait around with a minimum wage job for a whole year before trying again. It's such a predicament...

Physics news on Phys.org
5 (or even 10) is certainly not an unreasonable number. Recommendation writers will spend most of their effort writing a single letter which will go to all of the schools. Printing multiple copies of this letter and putting them into envelopes (which you will normally have provided, pre-addressed to the correct destination) is not much extra work, and assuming they are university professors, it's part of their job to write letters for their most promising students.

Yes, it's also extra work on your part to apply to more universities, because each school requires its own application and slight variations on the required materials. But better safe than sorry, unless you really don't mind the prospect of the minimum wage job for a year.

I agree with jbunniii here. You should play it safe and apply to several schools. There are too many factors involved to know whether you will be accepted or not. Also, if you have loans, remember that if you take no classes for longer than 6 months, you will have to start repaying those loans. That will certainly not be easy on minimum wage.

If the schools charge quite a bit for applying, consider it an investment. If need be, take out another small student loan for it. You are much better investing that money into a better chance at heading directly into grad school than you are risking it with one or two colleges and ending up getting nothing.

1. How many grad school applications should I submit?

There is no set number of grad school applications that is considered "reasonable." It ultimately depends on your individual goals, qualifications, and financial situation. It is generally recommended to apply to 3-5 programs that align with your research interests and career aspirations.

2. Will submitting more grad school applications increase my chances of acceptance?

While submitting more applications may increase your chances of receiving an acceptance letter, it is important to keep in mind the quality of your applications. It is better to submit a smaller number of well-crafted applications than a large number of rushed and mediocre ones.

3. Is it necessary to apply to multiple programs within the same university?

It is generally not necessary to apply to multiple programs within the same university, unless they have different admission requirements or you have a strong interest in both programs. It is more important to focus on finding the right program for your research interests and career goals.

4. How much does the number of grad school applications affect my chances of receiving funding?

Many factors, such as your academic record, research experience, and fit with the program, play a role in receiving funding. While submitting a larger number of applications may increase your chances, it is important to carefully research and select programs that have strong funding opportunities in your field.

5. Are there any drawbacks to submitting too many grad school applications?

Submitting too many grad school applications can be costly and time-consuming. It is important to carefully consider the application fees and required materials for each program, as well as your personal workload and capacity to complete multiple applications. Additionally, submitting a large number of applications may also dilute the quality of your applications and ultimately hinder your chances of acceptance.