1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many grad schools to apply to?

1. Jun 4, 2010 #1
    I'm sure this is a question that comes up a lot but I can't find an old thread on it, and I've seen a lot of varying advice all over.

How many grad schools should I apply to?

Personally, I'm an junior (will be a senior in the fall) physics major with a 3.9 overall and about a 3.8 in math and physics courses at a major public research university, and I have one semester and counting experience as a research assistant. Will be taking the GREs this summer.

So is there a general number of grad schools people usually apply to or does it completely depend on your personal situation?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2010 #2
    Depends on a lot of things. It can be very expensive applying to a lot of grad schools. For instance, I think eight apps is about ideal, but that could easily be $400 in application fees alone. So don't apply anywhere that you don't really want to go.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook