How Many Parallel Worlds Are There?

• Thread starter Dragonfall
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parallel
In summary, according to the many-worlds interpretation in quantum physics, there are an infinite number of parallel worlds or branches that exist. These branches do not interact with each other and are represented by strings of 0s and 1s. The number of branches is finite and determined by the laws of quantum mechanics. This concept is related to the idea of quantum decoherence and the holographic principle. However, there are different versions of the MWI and the exact number of parallel worlds is still debated.
Dragonfall
If we accept the many-worlds interpretation, how many parallel worlds are there? Finite? Countable? Uncountable? Even bigger? Do we need to bring the continuum hypothesis into it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, in MWI there is only one world...Just different branches which don't interact. So let's call them 'worlds'

Based on the Quantum Decoherence ideas, any system with finite energy has finite number of states, and it has finite maximum entropy. So the number of 'worlds' is also finite (for the given isolated subsystem).

Our observable universe at any moment is finite in size and energy, hence, the number of branches in it is also finite (and we can not be decoherenced with any events outside our observable part of the universe)

Nothing in quantum physics is described by an infinite dimensional state vector?

Unaccountable.
2^null_aleph

The explanation is rather simple, if every bit of infomartion is decoded to 0 or 1 (nay or yay) then the number of world is the number of sequences of 0 and 1, which we know from set theory what it is.

Dmitry67 said:
different branches which don't interact.

If they never interact, with what experiment would you be able to test for their existence?

MathematicalPhysicist said:
Unaccountable.
2^null_aleph

The explanation is rather simple, if every bit of infomartion is decoded to 0 or 1 (nay or yay) then the number of world is the number of sequences of 0 and 1, which we know from set theory what it is.

I don't see how this is related to quantum physics, or the many-worlds interpretation.

http://space.mit.edu/home/tegmark/multiverse.html

Max Tegmark said:
The answer is that there are only a finite number of possible states that a Hubble volume can have, according to quantum theory
Although classical physics allows an infinite number of possible states that a Hubble volume can be in, it's a profound and important fact that quantum physics allows only a finite number.
Let's first ignore the important complication of past history and ask how many physically distinct states N there are in a volume V. In classical physics, N is infinite (indeed uncountably infinite) as you say, since even specifying the position of a single particle requires infinitely many decimals. In quantum mechanics, however, N is finite: if the temperature never exceeds T, we of course have N < ln S, where S is the entropy of the thermal state with temperature T (I'm taking Bolzmann's constant k=1). Interestingly, the number of states appears to be finite even when taking general relativity into account, which is closely related to the holographic principle: the entropy is maximized if all the matter in V is in a single black hole, in which case, as you know, the Bekenstein-Hawking formula says that N is of order the surface area measured in Planck units. So yes, I see your reasoning, and find it quite striking that quantum mechanics, uncertainty principle and all, contrary to what one might expect, gives fewer states than classical physics. In the limit V->oo, quantum mechanics therefore gives a countable rather than uncountable infinity of states

Dragonfall said:
I don't see how this is related to quantum physics, or the many-worlds interpretation.
Quantum physics tells you that before experimenting you have a probability for certain outcomes.
Now the many world interpratation tells you that all of the possibilities for the other outcomes which haven't happened do happen in other worlds, and because every outcome can be represented as a string of 0 or 1 as happening in our world, each world can be represented as a string of 0s and 1s of occurrences in our world, the set of all these worlds is unaccountable as a set of sequences of 0s and 1s.

I look at the large scale, quantum cosmology, and not in a certain finite volume.

Interesting question, but the replies leave me more confused than I was before.

I suppose there are different versions of the MWI - some say that there is division on measurement (which reintroduces a version of the measurement problem), others that there's splitting whenever there's superposition (which introduces the preferred basis problem).

On the second view, I would have guessed that there are uncountably many - the reason being that a quantum system can be treated as an integral of position eigenstates and that there are uncountably many of these, each corresponding to a branch. And, I suppose, even if we think splitting happens only after measurement, and there's a branch for each possible result, because any value of position is possible, there would be uncountably many branches.

MathematicalPhysicist: I didn't understand your reply. How are these strings of 0s and 1s being generated? Why does every outcome correspond to an infinite string of 0 and 1, and why does every infinite string of 0 and 1 correspond to an outcome? You need a 1-1 correspondence between the two to get the result.

Dmitry: interesting link, but I don't understand Max Tegmark's argument.

Classical mechanics: How many possible orbits can you imgine for Earth rotating around Sun? Infinitely many. Any system of 2 gravity-bound objects can be in infinite number of state.
QM: How many states can you imagine for the Hydrogen? 2 (on the ground state) - ortho- and para-

yossell said:
I didn't understand your reply. How are these strings of 0s and 1s being generated? Why does every outcome correspond to an infinite string of 0 and 1, and why does every infinite string of 0 and 1 correspond to an outcome? You need a 1-1 correspondence between the two to get the result.

I think he means that all the information in the universe can be coded into bites, 0 & 1, based on this information, one can calculate the number of times universe splits, because one could predict all the events that occur in the universe.
In this interpretation according to quantum theory- in any event, what happens, all the possible outcomes that are possible, do happen, even if the probability is very small. Just every outcome that is possible, happens in different universe or parallel world, that means universe splits. And it is speculated that the most probable one happens in our universe, that's why we do not see really bizarre things here ;)

For example, if we collapse electrons´ state to spin +45 or -45, we see only one of these spins in OUR world, but actually the other possibility too happens, only in other universe

Last edited:
I'm still confused about the answers. Our observable world might be at any time finite in size and energy, but what if the "splitting" happens infinitely often during a finite time period?

In standard quantum mechanics, there are uncountable many positions at which you could observe a particle, the set has cardinality of the continuum of real numbers C. This would imply that each event has C outcomes. The number of splittings can be put into correspondence with the moments of time which are another uncountable set of size C. It seems that C times C = C so there are C world in the that interpretation.

1. How do scientists define parallel worlds?

Scientists define parallel worlds as separate universes that exist alongside our own, with their own distinct physical laws and characteristics.

2. How many parallel worlds are there?

There is currently no scientific consensus on the exact number of parallel worlds. Some theories suggest that there may be an infinite number, while others propose a finite but extremely large number.

3. Can we prove the existence of parallel worlds?

At this time, there is no definitive proof of the existence of parallel worlds. The concept remains a topic of theoretical discussion and speculation among scientists.

4. How do scientists study parallel worlds?

Scientists study parallel worlds through various theoretical frameworks, such as string theory and quantum mechanics. They also use mathematical models and simulations to explore the potential existence and properties of parallel worlds.

5. Are parallel worlds just science fiction?

While the concept of parallel worlds has often been explored in science fiction, it is also a topic of serious scientific inquiry. Many respected physicists and researchers have proposed theories and conducted studies on the possibility of parallel worlds.