Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many prime numbers have we actually solved

1. Sep 29, 2010 #1
    how many prime numbers have we actually solved,,, how can we say that there is no end to prime when we cant even count that high, i think sooner or later all numbers higher than primegod would be not prime

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2010 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: primegod

The usual way of proing that there are infinitely many primes is Euclid's proof: if the only primes were (p1, p2, ..., pk) then P = p1 * p2 * ... * pk + 1 cannot be divisible by any of p1, ..., pk, and so P is divisible by a prime other than p1, ..., pk.

One technique you might like: the Fermat numbers 2^(2^n) + 1 are pairwise relatively prime, so each contains at least one prime not previously occurring as a Fermat number divisor.

4. Sep 29, 2010 #3

i still believe the math is going to egg

5. Sep 29, 2010 #4

fss

Hmm... I don't think so. At least I'm not going to hold my breath.

6. Sep 29, 2010 #5

further prime should have a different formula or all prime wont be contained

7. Sep 29, 2010 #6

unless we are just trying to find any prime then there will be holes in the grid

8. Sep 29, 2010 #7

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you mean that the Euclid-Mullin sequence, Sloane's A000945, doesn't contain all primes?

That problem is still open. If you think you have a proof, try to write it up.

9. Sep 29, 2010 #8

just being dumb prove 139 is prime by the e-m sequence for me please, ...
    a(1) = 2, a(n+1) _{k=1..n} a(k) + 1

10. Sep 30, 2010 #9

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

This is ridiculous. I am closing the thread.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook