How Many Steps Are Visible on the Escalator When It's Shut Down?

I am a bit of an outcast here, but Evo is a moderator. I'm sure she knows how to do these things. Keep at it and you'll get there.Keep? I thought you meant "Stop." :PI meant I was trying to be clever with words, but it didn't work out like I wanted it to. :PBut you are right, I should have said "Stop at it then." :blush:Oh! Haha sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm not really good at reading between the lines. It was a nice attempt though. I got the humor in it. You got me there! :PIn summary, a scientist is conducting an experiment on an escalator in
Fraulein
A scientist is performing an experiment on an up-the-floor escalator in a mall. The scientist ran up the escalator and took 50 steps to reach the upper boom. Then, he ran back down the same escalator and took 125 steps to reach back the lower boom. The pace of the scientist going down is five times faster going up. How many steps are visible on the escalator if it is shutdown?

The problem is good for 15 minutes...or more! Haha! I'll post the solution and answer on Monday :) Happy solving!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Why do you think only a genius can solve it?

Also its easily found via google search.

Last edited:
Likes Evo
Also, this is the "Introductions Only" sub-forum, as it states in the first post. :smile:

Likes jedishrfu
Uh-oh. I haven't been reading. My bad. Uhm, do i have to delete this post and move it to the threads? Sorry guys. >.< Regarding the question, it came from a book entitled "Problems in General Physics by I.E Irodov" which was our example problem in our class last Monday. I just felt sharing this bec most of my classmates had a hard time solving it and I googled it too! And haven't found a site with solutions on this problem. (or maybe I am just lame in Google-ing lol)

Likes Evo
You're fine, no one reads my posts. :frown: It was a nice problem. Welcome to the forum!

Likes Enigman, Fraulein and jedishrfu
Oh no, i read your post should I now deny that I did and delete this post too to deny the denial? :-)

Likes Evo
Evo said:
You're fine, no one reads my posts. :frown: It was a nice problem. Welcome to the forum!
Thank you ^^ I'll move it to the threads :)

Evo said:
I read some of them @Evo...

Anyway, I moved this thread.

Likes Evo
Mark44 said:
I read some of them @Evo...

Anyway, I moved this thread.
Thank God, I'm having a hard time learning to post and the likes here. Thank you! :)

Likes Evo
Evo said:
You're fine, no one reads my posts. :frown:
Evo ... how can you say that? We all await your posts with bated breath :smile:

Likes Evo
phinds said:
Evo ... how can you say that? We all await your posts with bated breath :smile:
Who are you talking to?

Enigman said:
Who are you talking to?
Not you, apparently.

phinds said:
Not you, apparently.
Ah, keep at it then.

Related to How Many Steps Are Visible on the Escalator When It's Shut Down?

What is "Problem for the Geniuses"?

"Problem for the Geniuses" is a popular puzzle or conundrum that challenges individuals to think critically and creatively to find a solution. It often involves complex scenarios and requires a high level of intelligence and problem-solving skills.

What makes a problem a "Problem for the Geniuses"?

A "Problem for the Geniuses" is typically characterized by its level of difficulty and the need for out-of-the-box thinking. It may require a combination of logic, reasoning, and creativity to solve, and it often has multiple possible solutions.

Why are "Problems for the Geniuses" important?

"Problems for the Geniuses" serve as mental exercises and challenges that can help improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills. They also provide a fun and engaging way to stimulate the brain and keep it active.

Where can I find "Problems for the Geniuses" to solve?

You can find "Problems for the Geniuses" in various forms, such as books, online forums, and puzzle websites. You can also create your own "Problem for the Geniuses" by setting up a complex scenario or riddle.

How can I improve my ability to solve "Problems for the Geniuses"?

To improve your ability to solve "Problems for the Geniuses," you can practice regularly by solving different types of puzzles and brain teasers. It is also helpful to approach each problem with a calm and open-minded mindset, and to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts.