How many times will the line travel between A and B

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Konstantine
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Line Travel
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Konstantine
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and have a maths question. So basically, X is the time axis (per minute) and Y is the price axis. I have a data set of 200,000 Y values in excel. If I were to draw two horizontal lines through the sine like wave, how many times will the line travel between A and B?? I need a theoretical equation, or excel formula to work it out.
Image is posted below

Help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ed
 
Attachments
  • maths1.jpg
    maths1.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 481
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the data you have a perfect sine wave? What is it's frequency? Do the peaks and troughs of the data always fall outside of the lines?

If the peak of the wave at some point doesn't reach the topmost line, are these contiguous points still considered part of a segment that 'travels between the lines'?