How many ways to cover this rectangle

• Thread starter sharpycasio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rectangle
In summary, the question asks how many non-overlapping ways a (2 x 10) rectangle can be covered by (1 x 1) and (1 x 3) rectangles. The approach is to first look at how a 1 x 10 rectangle can be covered, which can be simplified by using 1 x 1 squares and 1 x 3 rectangles. Then, this can be extrapolated to a 2 x 10 rectangle by finding all the possible arrangements on both strips. The total number of ways to cover a 1 x 10 rectangle is 28, and for a 2 x 10 rectangle, it would be 272.
sharpycasio

Homework Statement

In how many different non-overlapping ways can a (2 x 10) rectangle be covered by (1 x 1) and (1 x 3) rectangles.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've never done any question like this. The only solution I can think of is a brute force method but I doubt that's the way it is intended to be solved. Any hints? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
sharpycasio said:

Homework Statement

In how many different non-overlapping ways can a (2 x 10) rectangle be covered by (1 x 1) and (1 x 3) rectangles.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've never done any question like this. The only solution I can think of is a brute force method but I doubt that's the way it is intended to be solved. Any hints? Thanks.

Since the smaller rectangles can't overlap the larger (2 x 10) rectangle, you can simplify matters by looking at how you would cover a 1 x 10 rectangle with 1 x 1 squares and 1 x 3 rectangles.

Mark44 said:
Since the smaller rectangles can't overlap the larger (2 x 10) rectangle, you can simplify matters by looking at how you would cover a 1 x 10 rectangle with 1 x 1 squares and 1 x 3 rectangles.

That's true! Thanks. So if I did it correctly this what I got for a 1 x 10 rectangle. (For simplicity, rectangle refers to 1x3 and square refers to 1x1)0 rectangles and 10 squares: 1
1 rectangle and 7 squares: 8
2 rectangle and 4 squares: 15
3 rectangle and 1 squares: 4Total = 28 ways to cover a 1 x 10 rectangle.

How would I extrapolate from this to a 2 x 10 rectangle? Would it be 282? Thanks.

Last edited:
I haven't checked your figures, but for the 2 x 10 rectangle, 272 seems reasonable. For each of the 27 ways on one of the 1 x 10 strips, there are 27 different arrangements on the other strip.

I initially made a mistake (missed one arrangement). Right now I have 28. Thanks. (Previous post has been edited)

1. What is the meaning of "cover" in this context?

"Cover" in this context refers to completely filling or enclosing the given rectangle without any gaps or overlaps.

2. Can you provide an example of covering a rectangle?

One example of covering a rectangle would be using square tiles to completely fill the surface of the rectangle.

3. Is there a formula for calculating the number of ways to cover a rectangle?

Yes, there is a formula for calculating the number of ways to cover a rectangle. It is equal to the product of the number of ways to cover the width and the number of ways to cover the length of the rectangle.

4. What factors affect the number of ways to cover a rectangle?

The factors that affect the number of ways to cover a rectangle include the dimensions of the rectangle, the shape and size of the covering objects, and any restrictions on the placement of the covering objects.

5. Are there any real-life applications for calculating the number of ways to cover a rectangle?

Yes, calculating the number of ways to cover a rectangle has real-life applications in fields such as architecture, interior design, and manufacturing, where efficient use of space is important.