1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many ways to cover this rectangle

1. Oct 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In how many different non-overlapping ways can a (2 x 10) rectangle be covered by (1 x 1) and (1 x 3) rectangles.

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

I've never done any question like this. The only solution I can think of is a brute force method but I doubt that's the way it is intended to be solved. Any hints? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Since the smaller rectangles can't overlap the larger (2 x 10) rectangle, you can simplify matters by looking at how you would cover a 1 x 10 rectangle with 1 x 1 squares and 1 x 3 rectangles.

4. Oct 3, 2012 #3
    That's true! Thanks. So if I did it correctly this what I got for a 1 x 10 rectangle. (For simplicity, rectangle refers to 1x3 and square refers to 1x1)

0 rectangles and 10 squares: 1
    1 rectangle and 7 squares: 8
    2 rectangle and 4 squares: 15
    3 rectangle and 1 squares: 4

Total = 28 ways to cover a 1 x 10 rectangle.

How would I extrapolate from this to a 2 x 10 rectangle? Would it be 282? Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  5. Oct 3, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I haven't checked your figures, but for the 2 x 10 rectangle, 272 seems reasonable. For each of the 27 ways on one of the 1 x 10 strips, there are 27 different arrangements on the other strip.

6. Oct 4, 2012 #5
    I initially made a mistake (missed one arrangement). Right now I have 28. Thanks. (Previous post has been edited)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook