1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much additional altitude can rocket obtain with launch assist.

1. Oct 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We have 2 model rockets identical in all ways (weight, height, mass, propellant, etc). The first rocket is launched like most rockets (0 ft/sec) and reaches 1000ft. For the second rocket we use a SUPER rubberband launch system. The launch system sends the rocket to say, 150 ft/sec before the rocket ignites. What altitude will the 2nd rocket reach? Please see the attached image.

2. Relevant equations
    I assume part of it involves Kinematic Equations. Something like V² = U² +2*a*s. After that do we just add together 1000+the result? Or is it far more complex? I heard that rockets perform better at speed. In theory, are the gains in altitude significant? The plan is to do a real world test! My profession is in advertising and have loved rockets since childhood, but physics is way over my head!

3. The attempt at a solution
    1000 + 1147 = 2147
    BAM! How's that?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

A rocket burns fro a specific time - applying a calculatable impulse and thus increase in momentum. One the fuel runs out the rocket will be traveling at high speed, so continues [slowing down] until it stops rising, and returns to Earth.

I would draw Velocity time graphs of the two flights - it becomes [should anyway] clear from there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook