How much current does a 1500W electric appliance draw in a 120V circuit?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Jabababa
Messages
52
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The power rating of an electric appliance is 1500 W. How much current does this appliance draw when it is used in a home electric circuit ( V= 120)?


Homework Equations



P= VI


The Attempt at a Solution



P= VI => I= P/V => I= 1500W/120V = 12.5A

Is this correct? This seems way too simple ha ha ha...so I am not sure.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Jabababa said:

Homework Statement


The power rating of an electric appliance is 1500 W. How much current does this appliance draw when it is used in a home electric circuit ( V= 120)?

Homework Equations



P= VI

The Attempt at a Solution



P= VI => I= P/V => I= 1500W/120V = 12.5A

Is this correct? This seems way too simple ha ha ha...so I am not sure.

If this is an early assignment on the topic, you could expect it to be simple. If this is a final assessment assignment you could be forgiven for wondering.
 
It probably is that simple but ...

The power rating is the maximum power that the device can draw. For example the 500W rated power supply in my PC draws a lot less in practice.
 
Thanks for your input CWatters, this is one of the question from my assignment so i can only work with what i have.