1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much did you know when you entered Grad School?

1. Jul 26, 2012 #1
    Alot of people ask what people should know. However I think it would be interesting to here what people's preparation for grad school really was. Math/Physics/Engineering are all fine. If you are entering in the fall I would also like to here from you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2012 #2
    It's a tough question to quantify. I am entering a physical chemistry program. I'll most likely be doing theory (analytical theory, not computational simulations).

According to my coursework, I am knowledgable in classical mechanics, physical chemistry, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, spectroscopy, computational chemistry and inorganic chemistry, plus some stuff I am forgetting (not e&m, my big gap).

More personally, I feel I only have a good grasp of thermodynamics, quantum mechanics and stat mech at the undergraduate level. Those are the areas I feel very comfortable self studying, working out problems, filling in gaps, etc.

I am familiar with a lot more topics so when people talk about broadening in spectroscopy, or spin-boson model or lie algrebras, I can follow the terminology without getting lost but I am not particularly comfortable working on those areas by myself.

My math background is solid for a chemistry or physics major. I have a very good background in math, I've taken tons of courses BUT I am not particularly great at math so there are many people with lesser backgrounds who are more capable.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  4. Jul 29, 2012 #3
    I'm entering a math PhD program this fall after finishing my undergrad last fall (I'm in the US). In terms of preparation, I double majored in math and physics in undergrad and so I have all of the standard coursework for those degrees. I did graduate courses in quantum mechanics, functional analysis, operator theory/algebras, algebra, algebraic geometry/topology, and differential topology/geometry.

I feel like I've forgotten a serious chunk of the physics I knew, though. I basically did all of my physics requirements and then all of my math requirements, instead of doing them at the same time (since I didn't decide to major in math until my 4th year). I feel that some of my early grad-level coursework in math was pretty weak because of that - I barely got by and it routinely took me hours to solve a single problem. So I'm not going to try to test out of any of the intro grad coursework since I think it will be worthwhile for me to relearn it all, and in a more serious manner than I did as an undergrad where I worried about the grade too much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook