How Much Does the Raft Rise When a 53kg Girl Dives Off?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 26K views
5.0stang
Messages
63
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Basic Buoyant Force HW Question

First time doing this, so bare with me:)

Homework Statement



A 53kg girl dives off a raft 4m square floating in a freshwater lake. By how much does the raft rise?

Density of water = 1000kg/m^3

Use the equation for buoyant force. Then solve the equation for V.

Of course, volume = L x W x H.

g = 9.8 m/s^2

Fb = weight of girl in Newtons


The Attempt at a Solution



My teacher gives us the equation for buoyant force as Fb = (density)(volume)(acc.due to gravity).

The answer is to be given in cms (centimeters).

Fb = (1000)(?)(9.8)

I am trying to get the volume, knowing that there is 4m squared. I am just missing the height.

Thanks for any ideas...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, just looking over my notes one more time. My teacher said to use the weight of the girl (53kg) to equal Fb.

How do I convert 53kg to Newtons? I can use online calculators, but that is not helping me learn. It looks like it is 9.8 x 53 = 519.4 Newtons

So I should be getting Fb = (1000)(V)(9.8) or 519.4 = (1000)(V)(9.8).

I just have to solve for V it looks like.
 
Last edited:
I am trying to solve for volume. I have 4m ^2 given in the problem.

Okay, the formula to work from is:

1. Fb = (Density in kg/m^3)(Volume)(Acc. Due to Gravity)
2. 519.4 = (1000 kg/m^3)(V)(9.8 m/s^2)
3. 519.4 = 9800V
4. Volume = 18.87 (units?)

Is this correct so far?

How do I convert this to centimeters.?
 
5.0stang said:
I am trying to solve for volume. I have 4m ^2 given in the problem.

Okay, the formula to work from is:

1. Fb = (Density in kg/m^3)(Volume)(Acc. Due to Gravity)
2. 519.4 = (1000 kg/m^3)(V)(9.8 m/s^2)
3. 519.4 = 9800V
4. Volume = 18.87 (units?)

Is this correct so far?

How do I convert this to centimeters.?

How do you get 4 from 3?

Are you able to understand the concept behind what you are doing? Refer to this similar problem in PF and see.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=214070
 
Sorry for the late response. I figured out the problem.

The professor made a typo in our question, and she corrected it. I solved it very quickly after that.

Thanks anyways!