How much does this election matter to you?

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matter
In summary, the conversation discusses the significance of the U.S. Presidential election and the impact it will have on foreign policy, the economy, and the country's role as a global leader. The participants express different views on the importance of the election and the role of the President in enacting change. Some believe that change needs to start from the bottom up, while others believe the President holds significant power. The conversation also touches on the importance of informed voting and the impact of the current economic crisis on the election.

How much does this election matter to you?

• Nearly as important as a food supply

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Most significant election since WWII

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Highly significant

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Is of little to moderate concern

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • It matters little to me

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How much personal significance do you place on this U.S. Presidential election, and why.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say "moderate significance", because I will only be affected the way my country is affected -> foreign policy -> Obama & Biden...However, I don't expect anything big because policies don't change that easily through individuals or parties ( Dems ruled the whitehouse and it wasn't any better really , yes , Bush was abit war-mongering and brought the world economy to its knees but I don't think the change will be significant)

I think each presidential election is highly significant given the impact it has on the world stage. This 3rd millenium CE could have begun with much hope and optimism, but Bush chose a path of war.

The next president has a chance to change that course - but with the cooperation of a lot of other people.

This election is VERY important. I sincerely hope everyone that is eligible to vote, does vote. Instead of trying to sway your vote...I want to make some observations.

Our system of government was designed with built-in checks and balances. When we have a balance of power...the system works. When one side or the other has ALL of the power...the system doesn't work.

Our economy is very complicated and difficult to comprehend. It is also far too easy to manipulate in favor of special interest groups. We need accountability at all levels. Personal integrity DOES matter. We need a clear economic plan. The plan should be supported by unbiased experts (not Wall Street executives) with both interim and long term goals accompanied by contingency plans. Telling people what they want to hear to sway votes and giving into special interests is what got us into trouble (both sides are guilty). The Senate Bailout is an example of good intentions being diluted...regardless of procedural reasons...the ridiculous "sweeteners" ($330 B?) needed to be included to pass the bill. A bailout of $700B was appalling to most Americans...the response from our leaders was to take advantage of the situation and load the emergency bill with "sweeteners" that will ultimately drive the cost higher. That same behavior might be categorized as blackmail or extortion under other circumstances.

We are also at war...regardless of how we got there...WE ARE AT WAR. We need a comprehensive strategy with (again) clear long term and interim goals and not knee jerk reactions to events or unadvised (by military experts - history DOES repeat itself militarily) actions.

As our economic problems mount and our dependence upon foreign debt increases...our stature in the world decreases. In the business world or (better yet) on the street...who would EVER respect a someone who spends every penny they get their hands on and run around "borrowing" from anyone who will make a loan...then talk tough about keeping an eye on the person who loaned the money?

If we're going to be the leader...we need to act like the leader. We need to focus on our own problems first..if we can't help ourselves...we won't be able to help anyone else...for long.

Please study the issues, ask questions, read what the candidates have said (all of the candidates) and ultimately...get out and vote.

I think it is important but it doesn't matter who wins because we are facing the worst. We are losing our jobs and our homes and are trying to pay our taxes and put gas in our cars and food on the table. I don't see clearly any candidate able to help us.

In some ways, I think too much emphasis has been placed on Presidential politics this year. Hardly anyone is talking about other important races.

I believe real change will need to start in Congress...bottom up...with a wide base to build on. Top down from the President almost always faces resistance.

Unfortunately, Congressional leaders seem to equate change with loss of (their) power.

I picked option 1.

With Obama and Palin, it looks like some super smart director is making a live mega hit movie! I wanted to pick #2 but I wasn't here during that time.

Even the challenges they are facing are so intense! They cannot afford any wrong decisions now.

Last edited:
There aren't enough choices - there needs to be at least one between the third and fourth choice. Or the word "little" should just be left off the fourth.

Also, context matters and the context of the choices varies.
Leah said:
I think it is important but it doesn't matter who wins because we are facing the worst. We are losing our jobs and our homes and are trying to pay our taxes and put gas in our cars and food on the table. I don't see clearly any candidate able to help us.
I agree with this explanation, so the way I would put it is that it is always important to do your civic duty, but this election is no more or less significant than any presidential election in the past 50 years. The 1980 election and perhaps one or two in the '60s were probably a little more important than average, but given the overall peace and prosperity of the last 20 years, there is not all that much at stake in this election, historically speaking.

All elections are important. The poll options seem a bit strange to me though, so I'm not voting on it.

Fine. You are hereby cursed with seven bad-hair days.

I voted for the first option. Bush and the Republicans have taken us to the precipice of economic collapse. They have raped the country and defiled the Constitution - the rule of law. Are we going to turn this around or allow more of the same? I think there is more at stake than there has ever been. Do we turn this around or not?

My country once asked me to be willing to give my life for our system of government. When I signed that paper, I did so with full knowledge of what I was doing. Don't tell me that now it doesn't matter.

McCain was an honorable man. It is sad to see him reduced to a caricature by his last chance, desperate grab for power.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
I voted for the first option. Bush and the Republicans have taken us to the precipice of economic collapse. They have raped the country and defiled the Constitution - the rule of law. Are we going to turn this around or allow more of the same?

My country once asked me to be willing to give my life for our system of government. When I signed that paper, I did so with full knowledge of what I was doing. Don't tell me that now it doesn't matter.

First, THANK YOU for your service...one of my oldest friends just returned from Afghanistan today and I told him the same thing.

I almost selected #1...then voted for #2.

Shortly after WWII, we became the most prosperous country in the history of the world. Now, as you said we're on "the precipice of economic collapse"...I hope EVERYONE turns out to vote...the democracy only works if everyone takes part.

WhoWee said:
First, THANK YOU for your service...one of my oldest friends just returned from Afghanistan today and I told him the same thing.

Sorry if that sounded misleading. I signed the paper but never had to go. Because of my age, when it looked like Vietnam might reignite with China's move into Cambodia, I was on the top of the list of those who would go. Luckily things calmed down and I never had to serve.

But, the reality was there nonetheless: Was I willing to give my life for the Constitution? I had to think long and hard about that one.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Sorry if that sounded misleading. I signed the paper but never had to go. Because of my age, when it looked like Vietnam might reignite with China's move into Cambodia, I was on the top of the list of those who would go. Luckily things calmed down and I never had to serve.

But, the reality was there nonetheless: Was I willing to give my life for the Constitution? I had to think long and hard about that one.

You know what they say...actions speak louder than words...you made a decision and stuck with it...good for you!

When our elected officials take an oath...they should DO what they promised...nothing more is expected...nothing less is expected.

If they can't or won't do what they were elected to do...they should be replaced.

If a salesman is hired because he said he was qualified and promised to make sales...then doesn't make enough sales...first, he's ONLY paid on the sales he does make (it's called having "skinny kids")...then he's replaced...that's called "NEXT".

I think one benefit of electing obama, is that it should rightly be seen partly at least, as a repudiation of the george bush years.

after all, the horrible performance and horrible residual effects of that worst of all recent presidencies, is a main reason there is so much interest in this election.Since I believe it is crucial to see a clear sign that america is not dominated by the forces of ignorance, and intolerance, jingoism and greed, I hope obama wins a decisive victory.

even if he is unable to solve all the problems created and bequeathed by gw, it will show that the american electorate tried to get it right for once.

did the good sister lose faith in ike in 1956?

(shouldn't that sentence say: "who last voted in 1952, for eisenhower.."? I mean no one has voted for ike since 1956.)

Last edited:
Nearly as important as a food supply.

With the downturn in the economy, I have a real fear of depression... with my husband and I losing our jobs, and being on the road without care for our boys (including a special needs child on Medicare due to severe "delays") . While McCain claims on his page to "provide care for the traditionally uninsurable," I really don't think his plan will provide, since he confesses to no idea about economics and doesn't discuss funding the plan. While I used to respect McCain (back in 2000), I no longer trust his integrity. I think Palin wants to steer the ship anyways. Bigoted remarks started in the Republican convention the day she arrived to accept her candidacy (with Giuliani). McCain's now forced to play the cards the way Palin has set the deck.

Palin may have a special-need child, but I personally feel she still has NO idea about the importance of health care to special-needs children. After all, she quoted president Reagan in his attack against Medicare ("raising the white flag of surrender" http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/03/raising-the-white-flag-of-surrender-to-medicare/" ). Of course, I tend to think (via Palin's run-on incomprehensible "sentences") that she has no idea about anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does the outcome of this election impact your field of research?

The outcome of this election can have significant impacts on the funding, policies, and regulations related to my field of research. It can determine the priorities and direction of future scientific studies, as well as the availability of resources and support for current projects. It is important for the scientific community to be aware of and engaged in the election process to advocate for the advancement of our field.

2. What role do scientists play in the election?

Scientists play a vital role in the election by providing evidence-based information and expertise on various issues and policies. They can also serve as advocates for policies that promote scientific progress and address important societal issues. Additionally, scientists can help educate the public on scientific topics and encourage critical thinking and informed decision-making.

3. How does the election affect the future of science and technology?

The outcome of the election can have a significant impact on the future of science and technology. It can determine the level of funding and support for research, as well as the priorities and direction of scientific advancements. The election can also impact the regulation and ethics surrounding emerging technologies, such as genetic engineering or artificial intelligence.

4. What are some key issues for scientists in this election?

Some key issues for scientists in this election include climate change, healthcare, funding for scientific research, and science education. These issues have direct implications for the scientific community and the advancement of knowledge and technology. It is important for scientists to understand the candidates' stances on these issues and vote accordingly.

5. How can scientists make a difference in this election?

Scientists can make a difference in this election by being informed and engaged in the political process. This can involve educating themselves on the candidates' positions, voting in elections, and advocating for science and evidence-based policies. Scientists can also use their expertise and platforms to raise awareness and educate others on important scientific issues and the importance of voting in elections.