How much effort do you think it would take to make your own card access system?

• Thread starter Disowned
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, it is possible to create a security card access system using a magnetic reader and a keyboard, as described in the 2600 magazine. This system would operate independently from a computer and could potentially be used to unlock a door. However, it may be easier to use an old RTV unit and PC to connect the reader and keyboard. Alternatively, a card key could be used to send key scan codes to the computer's numeric keypad, which would then signal the lock to open.
Disowned
I know you can get the parts to make a magnetic reader for around 40 to 60 dollars. I also know (from reading 2600 mag) that you can access the magnetic strip of your credit card and rewrite the data inside it. I think it is possible to get the magnetic reader to communicate with your keyboard if you solder them together. Given this, it is possible to make a security card access system to something like a door?

Disowned, what the hell do you mean by card access system?

Well, I mean is basically a security that revolves around your card as the key to unlock that system. Maybe I'm not explaining it correctly but someone out there has to know what I am talking about.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Why would you connect the reader to your keyword? Not USB to your PC with custom program?

Well I theorizing a system that could operate without interaction from the PC. A standalone program, if you will, where the lock system would be operated by the card reader, a monitor, and the keyboard.

However, given what you said, it would much easier to do this if I took an old RTV unit and PC and hooked it up to the reader and keyboard. Not that I have the money or time to embark on this project anyway.

Bar code readers connect to the keyboard port and send the key scan codes as if you had typed on the numeric keypad - I suppose a card key could do the same. The advantage of this is that you don't need to change the software.

But you would need someway of signalling back to the lock wether or not it should open.

1. How much time would it take to make a card access system?

The amount of time it takes to make a card access system depends on several factors such as the complexity of the system, the resources available, and the expertise of the person creating it. It could take anywhere from a few months to a few years to design, build, and test a fully functional card access system.

2. What materials are needed to create a card access system?

The materials needed to create a card access system may vary depending on the design and functionality of the system. Generally, you will need a microcontroller, RFID reader, RFID cards, power supply, wires, and a computer for programming and testing the system.

3. Is it difficult to make a card access system?

The difficulty level of creating a card access system depends on the individual's knowledge and experience in electronics and programming. It can be challenging for someone with no prior experience, but with proper research, resources, and guidance, it is possible to create a functional card access system.

4. How much would it cost to make a card access system?

The cost of making a card access system can vary greatly depending on the materials and resources used. It could cost anywhere from a few hundred dollars to thousands of dollars, depending on the complexity and functionality of the system.

5. Can I make a card access system without any programming knowledge?

While having programming knowledge can be helpful in creating a card access system, it is not necessary. There are many resources and tutorials available online that can guide you through the process, even if you have no prior programming experience. However, it may take longer and require more effort to create a functional system without programming knowledge.