How much energy is need to place four positive charges

In summary, the question asks for the amount of energy needed to place four positive charges at the vertices of a square with a side length of 2.5 cm. The formula for electric potential energy, W = kQ1Q2/r, should be used instead of the formula for force. This is because the force between the charges is not constant as they are moved into position. The total energy can be calculated by finding the change in electric potential energy for each charge and adding them together.
mlostrac

Homework Statement

How much energy is need to place four positive charges, each of magnitude +5.0 mC, at the vertices of a square of side 2.5 cm?

Homework Equations

E = kQ/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure if what I did is close to correct, but I got an answer.

1) I calculated the Force experienced by 1 charge by another (arbitrarily picked):
F = k Q^2/d^2
= 3.6 x 10^8

Therefore, if I picked the bottom left charge of the square, it is experiencing a repulsive force in the -y and -x directions each of 3.6 x 10^8 N.

2) The third charge, the upper right, was also taken into account after finding the distance from the bottom left to the top right:

F = k q^2/ r^2 = 1.8 x 10^6 N

Therefore, the top right charge is repelling the bottom right charge by 1.8 x 10^6 N at a 45 degree angle south of west.

3) I added up the vectors to find a resultant vector of the force acting on the bottom left charge: (tr = top right)

a) F(tr)x = 1.8 x 10^6 (cos 45) = 1.27 x 10^6 N (in the negative x direction)
b) F(tr)y = 1.8 x 10^6 (sin 45) = 1.27 x 10^6 N (in the negative y direction)

The resultant vector consists of:
F(x) = (1.27 x 10^6) + (3.6 x 10^8) = 3.61 x 10^8 (negative x direction)
F(y) = 3.61 x 10^8 (negative y direction)

Resultant force = sqrt [(3.61 x 10^8)^2 + (3.61 x 10^8)^2]
= 5.1 x 10^8 N (at 45 degrees south of west)

I'm not sure where to go from here.

I'm wondering if I should have calculated work from each of the separate charges acting on the arbitrarily picked bottom left charge and added them up?:

a) W = Fd = (3.6 x 10^8 N) x (0.025 m) = 9.0 x 10^6 J
+
b) W = Fd = (3.6 x 10^8 N) x (0.025 m) = 9.0 x 10^6 J
+
c) W= Fd = (1.8 x 10^6 N) x (0.035m) = 6.3 x 10^4 J

Total Energy = 1.81 x 10^7 J

Then the TOTAL ENERGY for all 4 charges should be 1.81 x 10^7 multiplied by 4? (Because there are 4 charges):

= 7.23 x 10^7 J[/B]

HELP PLEASE! TEST ON MONDAY!

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe this formula [tex]W=k\frac{q_1q_2}{r}[/tex] must be given somewhere in your textbook. Check it :smile:

Careful! Work = Force X distance only when the force is constant, which is not the case here. Instead of calculating the force, calculate the change in electric potential energy. (Look up the formula for electric potential energy.)

hikaru1221 said:
I believe this formula [tex]W=k\frac{q_1q_2}{r}[/tex] must be given somewhere in your textbook. Check it :smile:

My notes say Force = kQ1Q2/r^2 ... I don't see how I can get work from that? Or is that the wrong formula?

DocAl: Why isn't force constant here? Is each charge not experiencing a constant charge from each of the other three since they are repelling each other?

Last edited:
mlostrac said:
My notes say Force = kQ1Q2/r^2 ... I don't see how I can get work from that? Or is that the wrong formula?
That's the correct formula to find the force, but not the one you need for this problem. hikaru1221 gave the formula you need. Read more about it in your textbook and here: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elepe.html"

DocAl: Why isn't force constant here? Is each charge not experiencing a constant charge from each of the other three since they are repelling each other?
The force depends on the distance between the charges, which is changing as the charges are moved into position. Imagine that the charges were initially very far apart from each other (so their force was minimal) and you brought them to their final positions. The forces between them would change as they are brought together.

You can certainly derive the formula for work from the force equation, but you'd need to use calculus since the force isn't constant. Check your text.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How is energy involved in placing four positive charges?

Energy is involved in the process of placing four positive charges because it takes work to overcome the repulsive forces between the charges and position them in the desired locations.

2. What type of energy is needed to place four positive charges?

The type of energy needed to place four positive charges is electrical potential energy, which is the energy associated with the interaction between charged particles.

3. Does the amount of energy needed depend on the size of the charges?

Yes, the amount of energy needed to place four positive charges does depend on the size of the charges. The larger the charges, the greater the repulsive forces and therefore, the more energy is needed to overcome them and place the charges.

4. Is there a specific formula for calculating the energy needed to place four positive charges?

Yes, the energy needed to place four positive charges can be calculated using the formula E = k(q1q2)/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges, and r is the distance between them.

5. What other factors may affect the amount of energy needed to place four positive charges?

Other factors that may affect the amount of energy needed include the distance between the charges, the presence of other charges in the vicinity, and the medium in which the charges are placed. These factors can all influence the strength of the repulsive forces and therefore, the amount of energy required.