How much is the mass of the sun losing every second?

  • Thread starter Thread starter trevorr93
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass Sun The sun
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
trevorr93
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
My friend told me that the sun is going to get smaller and smaller every year because it's getting used up? I've read that the power output is 4 x 10^26 Watts. How can i figure out how much mass it's losing a second? because then I will be able to find how long the sun will be able to shine on me and my children (hopefully).

thanks.

I don't really know how to attempt this problem because it's really random and i don't know any formulas for power.

merci.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
nvm i think E=mc^2 will help me out thanks. wow I don't think my children will live to see the sun. sucks for them i am going to take lots of pictures i guess ..
 
1 watt = 1 joule per second

Mass is converted into energy through the equation

E = mc^2.

But is the power quoted going to remain constant throughout all the time t to be calculated?