1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much is the mass of the sun losing every second?

1. Dec 6, 2011 #1
    My friend told me that the sun is going to get smaller and smaller every year because it's getting used up? I've read that the power output is 4 x 10^26 Watts. How can i figure out how much mass it's losing a second? because then I will be able to find how long the sun will be able to shine on me and my children (hopefully).

thanks.

I don't really know how to attempt this problem because it's really random and i don't know any formulas for power.

merci.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2011 #2
    nvm i think E=mc^2 will help me out thanks. wow I don't think my children will live to see the sun. sucks for them i am going to take lots of pictures i guess ..

4. Dec 6, 2011 #3
    1 watt = 1 joule per second

Mass is converted into energy through the equation

E = mc^2.

But is the power quoted going to remain constant throughout all the time t to be calculated?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook